What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P x weser problem! help!

Hello,

I checked on my P x weser this morning and was shocked to find that many of its leaves had become soft and many were detachable from the centre of the plant. The part of the leaves close to the centre and the centre itself have this white coloured stuff on them. In fact I think the centre of the plant can be plucked out from the soil. However, the plant still looks green from the outside.

In contrast, my other P x weser has crunchy leaves and the leaves aren't detachable (I pulled softly).

It's been raining heavily these few days and the Pings were placed in partial shelter and put in rather deep bowls, so the water level was almost full when I checked this morning. They are potted in pure peat I think.

I promptly emptied the 2 bowls and put the 2 pings separately in a shaded area. I also sprayed the white stuff with fungicide.

Is my first ping dead? I have a strange feeling it is. All the leaves seem to be detachable, and not just one or two.

Is there anything more I should do?

This has happened to me with my past P.ehlersai. I belive it is due to the fact that the soils were too moist and a fungul growth started (white stuff near base). I couldn't stop it, so i just took all the leaves and made cuttings. All leaves gave me more plants. Since they are all detachable, make cuttings. pure peat is too good in holding in water, so i think that is the problem .If there were sand or perlite mixed in, the soil would have drained better. Good luck-Zach

I too have had that problem...but I'm now in the process of switching all my pings to a mostly inorganic substrate with just enough peat to keep it together. Since I've joined this forum i've seen pics of pings growing on tuffa rock, hanging off rocky cliffs and the like...your plants might appreciate growing al natural. You should definitely take cuttings of your ping as Ceph88 recommended...I had a ping that I dropped and it broke apart completely, I know have about 15 new pinglets coming up from those leaves!

Damon

The Ping leaves, though, are brown towards the centre. Will they still make good cuttings? They are also the summer carnivorous leaves. Will thye work?

Anyway, all I have to do is lay them on the substrate right?

Thanks!

The Ping's dead. The white stuff has spread and the plant fell apart by itself. I managed to get some leaves without the white stuff, but as I've said in my last post, these are brownish and slimy at their bases. I've laid these on chopped LFS, tho I'm not very hopeful that they will bud.

the beutiful thing with pings is that even half a leaf may bud some plantlets out. Just snipp the slimy part off.

Back