What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. x fraser's beauty

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Does anybody have or know anything about P. x fraser's beauty? Is it Mexican or temperate? How does one ship it?

It is a Mexican. Moranensis x gypsicola if memory serves me correctly. Treat and ship like a typical Mexi-Ping
smile.gif

Wrap in paper towel with little or no water?

A paper towel with very little water (i.e. get it wet and then squeeze it out till no more water drips free) works. LFS that is of the same dampness is also good. They can sit dry for upto a week as well, beyond that though and they tend to suffer.

Thanks, Travis!

Joseph, thanks for the link! I followed it through and found this picture:

collector_p_sethos_x_faser.jpg

The caption I found at the Triffid Park website, with the image you posted, was: (Pinguicula ‘Sethos’ x moranensis "var. Fraser"). Not quite the same as "Fraser's Beauty", I think Frasers Beaut refers to a geographical location.

What a contrast between the drab leaves and the beautiful flower!

P. "Fraser's Beauty" along with another unregistered cultivar P. "Fraser's Red Leaf" are two clones produced by Fraser Lamont from South Africa (RSA). Being unregistered, their names are often written in different ways, such as P. "Fraser's Beaut" or P. "Fraser Red" or P. moranensis 'Fraser' (I've seen this used for both clones!). http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/pictures/pinguicu/loyd26.htm

Little seems to be known about their parentage, they are often both listed as cultivated forms of P. moranensis. I'm not sure if Fraser Lamont is still active in growing CPs, or for that matter if he is still alive, but his plants live on.

Presumably, someone knows something more about the man and his plants?

Vic

Than you both for elucidating on this cultivar.

I've grown P. x 'Frasers Beauty'.  I have no idea what the parents are.  It's a very vigorous plant that turns a wonderful bright pink under strong light.  It's also easy to propagate, and sprouts readily from the leaves.  

Here's a pic I took:
ping.jpg

Thank you for sharing the picture. Looks like it's a typical moranensis complex plant.

Back