What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. vulgaris

G

I've been growing Pings in my bog garden outside for quite a while but unfortunately that's my only experience with temperate pings. Now my boyfriend wants to grow one of our native Pings but he lives in an apartment so having a bog garden is not an option.
smile.gif
My question is, can P. vulgaris grow well indoors? Do you guys have any tips for caring for it? Can it be grown from cuttings? I've only seen information on growing Mexican Pings from cuttings- not temperates.
I really appreciate any help you can offer
smile.gif

Thanx

P. vulgaris needs a long cold winter dormancy, so whilst you might be able to grow it March-October indoors, you will have to put it outside so that it forms it's winter resting bud. Some growers in warmer climates than mine over-winter the winter buds in the refridgerator, I've never needed to do this so have no experience of it's ease.

Vic

I don't know if cuttings are possible but I think I recall that the winter-bud forming species tent to produce brood bodies that can be seperated from the parent and will grow into new plants. Kind of like Ping-gemmae.

I am in P.Vulgaris's nature range and belive me it will do fine outdoors! It needs nice and cold dormancy let it drop below freezing for the whole winter! j/k but yes it will take VERY cold temps if you don't give it cold temps it will rot. A refrige might work but it could be too warm. Try an unheated porch if that is what he considers "indoors". If he has an outdoor balcony maybe he coudl grow it there. BTW, does ANYONE know of a place to buy P.Vulgaris? I haven't found ANYONE with it yet.

nepenthes gracilis - you're right.. it can take very cold temperatures. It's one of our two native Pings here in Alaska and the coldest temps I've seen in my area are -50F.
I suppose my boyfriend could put his plant in the freezer for it's dormancy period.. or maybe the refrigerator would be cold enough..

Yes, the freezer probably would work!
smile.gif
Just make sure it get's cold and dry not cold and wet, then the hiberniculum will rot away to nothing. The brood body's on the hiberniculum would also die with it so you would endup with no other replacement ping.
sad.gif

N.G.,
I know Gublers sold plants w/ P. vulgaris labels, but I can't verify that's what the plants really were.

---

purplesundew,

Maybe your bf can place the plant at your back porch during the winter months.

Back