What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. 'Titan' pic.

Thanks to Copper, I have some really nice pings. Less than four months ago, she gave me three tiny little ping-lets, among which was this P. 'Titan', which has grown HUGE and has now flowered. And it's a nice purple flower, too! This is a FAST grower, and I didn't expect a flower this soon, nor a 7-inch diameter plant!

P_x_Titan.sized.jpg

Capslock

I am glad this did well for you
smile.gif

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Excellent work Capslock, very nice plant, flower, and photo.

What amazing adaptability Pinguicula have. It sure makes them easier to grow despite various conditions we give them as we try to adapt to their needs.

Below is a photo of one of my own specimens of Pinguicula 'Titan'. Mine is growing in a 4" pot with a media composed of 1/4 inch pieces 1::1 pumice/coral. It is growing under multiple "cool white" fluorescent shop lights -- photoperiod 15 hrs/day. Flower inset is from an earlier blooming of the same plant:

p_Titan_AB2.jpg
</span>

as always pingman, prettier than a rose!!

quick question for all- in caps photo you can see a "dent" or irregulatiry in the leaf, yet no pests such as aphids to cause this, i get this sometimes too so what causes that?

The new leaf looks like that of a lettuce plant.
smile_n_32.gif

Very nice though!

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>My guess would be minor fluctuations in moisture/humidity levels affecting turgor in leaf cells as they are forming. Totally a wild guess at a hypothesis.</span>

Probably a good guess. I've done a lot of travelling this summer, and my house sitter let it get pretty dry a couple of times. However, it's been a great summer of cp growing weather here in San Francisco. We've had high humidity and overnight fog with sunny afternoons almost every day this summer.

Joseph, I'm shocked at how different our plants look. Mine is grown on a 14-hour cycle under a 400w MH light. My pings seem to grow greener here than under my fluorescents, but the leaf shape even seems different. Mine don't come to a point at all. I also have fairly cool conditions. My house rarely gets over 70 degrees, and the MH lights give off more heat, so my theory was that they'd prefer it there. However, I've got some growing great under fluorescent tubes, too, so I don't know which is better here. I think they grow faster under the MH lights (1 inch to 7 inch diameter in under four months!) but get better color under the fluorescents. Oh, I use peat and sand, 50-50, maybe a bit more sand.

Capslock
PS: Copper, did you get my PM about the pings? I have P. x George Sargent cuttings that have struck for you.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Capslock,
Thanks for the additional information on how you are growing yours. Isn't it absolutely amazing how phenotype can change so dramatically all due, no doubt, to the differences in our environments.

I guess this Pinguicula 'Titan' is quite media flexible. Originally I grew it in 100% peat moss, it grew well. Then I began to experiment. I planted many small ones in 100% pumice. They are doing nicely. Then I repotted my original "mother" plant into the 1/4 inch chunks - 1::1 mixed of coral and pumice. That is the one in this photo. My growing conditions are elaborated upon in this thread: http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....6;st=40

I wonder if both of our plants can be traced back to the same source. I received my original plant from Ed Read. I traded them with many people. I think I may have traded it to Copper.</span>

Back