What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. pumila leaf cuttings

I just read in one of my CP books that P. pumila (along with P. primuliflora and P. planifolia) will develop small plantlets on their leaves while growing under conditions of high humidity.

Has anyone done this? I ask because my hand-pollinating attempts have been poor at best with these tiny flowers.

-Homer

Many years ago I tried leaf propagation of the SE USA Pinguicula species. Though I never tried with Pinguicula pumila. I did manage to propagate a few plants of each species, Pinguicula caerulea, Pinguicula ionantha, Pinguicula lutea, Pinguicula planifolia, and even Pinguicula primuliflora, though this is kind of redundant. For me it was too disruptive of the parent plants and too highly unreliable, 1 in 30 might start producing plantlets, but would still easily abort, quite unlike Mexican species and hybrids.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]. For me it was too disruptive of the parent plants and too highly unreliable, 1 in 30 might start producing plantlets

Ouch! OK, I won't hack up my P. pumila. Any good advice on hand-pollinating this particular species, since the flower is so small?
confused.gif

-Homer

I use a 8x loupe that clips to my left eyeglass lens with a spring clip.

Back