What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. primuliflora

For those inquiring minds.
Very first ping flower for me. I'm going to try and pollinate it. I’ve read the faq and don't really understand where exactly the pollen is? And how much of the flower do you take apart if any? Any more info would be much appreciated.
Thanks Stephen
pingflower.jpg

I don't think too many people bother with the pollination approach with this species. They spread prolifically with the plantlets they produce. Nice pic of the flower.

Thanks jimscott, if another flower starts I may have to disassemble this one to see how things work. I tried the blackened toothpick today. I think it may have had some pollen on it, time will tell. Speaking of time, does anyone know long it takes the flowers to fade after pollination? I have pollinated lots of orchids before with great success, big flowers are much easier to work with.LOL
Seeya wouldn't wanabeeya
smile_m_32.gif

Stephen

Stephen, the anthers on Ping flowers are behind the stigma, down the long tube of the petals. I don't think you can see them without cutting open the flower. Both the stigma and anthers are on the ceiling of the flower, so if you reach in with a toothpick and then sweep the tip of your pick up and towards you as you withdraw it, you should get a successful pollination. Of course, that's just what the Savage Garden says. I've never done it myself, so it may not be as easy as it sounds. It also says you don't need to cross pollinate - the flowers should all be self-fertile.
Best luck,
~Joe

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanx Joe

Wow, I love it when my rambling actually helps. You're welcome!
~Joe

Even if this species isn't one where manual pollination isn't necessary, it is still a good useful tool to know how to do it where it truly is necessary. You can waste a flower on this plant and more will follow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sdeering @ June 29 2005,1:54)]For those inquiring minds.
Very first ping flower for me. I'm going to try and pollinate it. I’ve read the faq and don't really understand where exactly the pollen is? And how much of the flower do you take apart if any? Any more info would be much appreciated.
Thanks Stephen

You might try checking out the two posts at the top if the Pinguicula subject titled "Pollination".

I regularly pollinate my USA Pinguicula and sow the seed as soon as it is ripe. Quite challenging to grow these little ones into flowering size plants . . . and so on and so on.

Thanxs for the replies all. I may not have got the job done. The flower shows no signs of wilting yet.
The purpose is ya, mostly just to see if it works but also to get some plants with a little genetic diversity. Maybe this strain has been selft so many times there is no diversity. Now way to tell until you try...
Later Stephen

Back