What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. primuliflora

My P. primuliflora all rotted away!
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

Sorry to hear that.
Mine grew great during the summer, but in the winter mine rotted also. I think I kept it to wet.

Oh dear. Despite what people say, P. primuliflora is NOT that easy to grow.
It likes to be wet, but it is prone to root rot. This is where the majority of people go wrong.

I had one, it flowered then rotted away. [ITALIC!!!!]Pinguicula primuliflora[/ITALIC!!!!] rots often.

I've had mine for umm.... at least 8 months. It sent up about 6 or 7 flowers and it's still going great. Lots of babies too. ^_^'''

Maybe it's just lasting a long time.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I've kept some Pinguicula primuliflora now for more than 5 years. Produced seed when they flower. Grown the seed to flowering plants. They just keep growing and flowering, also producing plants from the sprouts at the tips of their leaves. Every so often one will die and rot, but the seedlings and plantlets more than make up for the loss.

In the couple of years I've been tending to the needs of plants I have learned to propagate as soon as possible, and as often as convenient. This practice makes my collection more stable than it used to be when I carefully tended to a solitary plant of each type that I wished to keep. Doing that nearly always doomed me to failure. Populations are much more stable than individuals. Individuals come and go, but populations increase stability quite a bit.</span>

is this ping a self pollinating plant? Mine has died back a bit after I removed some of the plantlets...I'm just going to let it go now, see how many plantlets it takes to get the entire pot full. My one has something like four flowers up right now...crazy.

i thought that P. primuliflora set seed and die
thats what happened to all myn, they seed seed (wich i could get because i was always to late and they already fell -_-)
and they just turn brown and die...
when it starts to happen, i try to push the leaves down so most of them touch the substrate and they usually make plantlets
biggrin.gif

Hellz

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>No, actually they do not "self-pollinate", they must be pollinated manually, either by human intervention or another animal, possibly an insect. They are often "self-fertile", pollen from the same clone can instigate the production of viable seed. And, no they do not normally expire immediately after seed production.</span>

Oh, one more thing - they are one of the hardest plants to ship in the mail! I've never had one arrive alive at its destination. In fact, after half an hour out of its medium, it will start to wilt. And if you leave it in a pot or packed in spag, it often gets crushed or too warm. Arg!

Good thing is, they're easy to find at the store!

I've had nmo problems with it... but I often keep it waterlogged, all the way to the soil surface. I let it dry out for a good while after it evaporates, though!

I keep my ping's primuliflora, planifolia, and carulea growing in the bog garden right over the water pump outlet, and they are doing well. They are young (15 years old), but seem to prefer a medium drenched in MOVING water. Since I put them in this situation, they have grown like weeds, and produce flowers in abundance. No rots, no fungus', and they eat like pigs. I do prefer to try and copy the growing situation, and I find that circulated RO water seems to do good things for their root development, and overall health. In Apalachicola, the butterworts actually live for a season under water as an aquatic, but the important thing to note is the water is always flowing (slowly) and they just seem to love it. Mine do.

Back