What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. moransis

I have one extra package of four P. moransis gemmae. First responder gets it free.

enoc22 and Griffin do not need to respond. I have some set for your packages already.

ME ME!

This will hopefully be my second Ping!

SF

Pinguicula moranensis produce gemmae?! I don't think so... It is either a temperate Pinguicula, such as P. vulgaris, or a pygmy Drosera which can produce gemmae... Unless you meant cuttings?

Nope, this was sent as a moransis.  But you know how ID's can go.  Snowy I will send the gemmae and we will ID when they flower.

I do have a vulgaris.  The leaves are not the same, but this one has not flowered yet.

Thanks Tom

Oh yes, I can talk for a while about misIDed plants lol. Can you post a picture? I would be curious to have a look at it. Thank, and I hope you didn't find my post too arsh, its the feeling i had when i read it back :p

Are you sure its not Pinguicula macroceras?

This N. American Ping has the most similar name to to 'moransis' that I can think of.

P. moranensis, is a mexican species and as Tom says, doesn't produce gemmae.

Vic

As I said, it was sent labeled as moransis, but it was sent as a moransis (unknown) so I take it that it had not flowered for the sender as well.  I label my pots immediately with the name the plant is labeled and who sent it. I will check out pictures of the macroceras.

No Tom.  I believed that you were trying  to save another mis-ID.  I have no problem with this.  I should have questioned this plant.  It is a DUH.  I know that moransis is tropical and just did not make the connection.  I also found that a drosera sent in the same package was mis-IDed.  It was sent as a normal bi, but branches 8 or more times.  The Ping may be a vulgaris of a different type than I have.  My vulgaris is making gemmae right now.  It may also be a macro since that is another of the pings I requested, but did not (thought) receive.  I suppose the sender may have gotten mixed up since they sent a large amount of plants to several people all at once.

As to a pygmy drosera, I am not that new
wink.gif
Although I am new to Pings. The plant is a larger ping, approximately four inches across, but died back to a bud. The gemmae does not look like drosera gemmae, but small buds. They grow at the base of the plant. Prehaps they are not gemmae? But they deffinately are not plantlets.

Vic,

I have looked at several sites and pictures now.  The Pinguicula macroceras appears to be the same.  The leaves curl in the same manner and take the same form.  Of course, we will not know for sure until it flowers.  Will the macro get that big? The hibernacula also looks the same, with the reddish tip.  But they all might look that way.

Thank you.  Now, is the macro in the vulgaris family? Two site put it as a vulgaris ssp.

Snowy, do you still want the gemmae (unknown).

Yes! Since I only have one P. primuliflora right now, anything is cool! Just let me know when you figure out the ID (assuming your parent plant will flower before the bud/gemmae/plantlet).

SF

Never mind, I misread and thought that the post said you had four packets, instead you only have one packet. Oh well, I should be getting a whole bunch of pings in the mail tommorow anyways.

Are you talking about P. moraNENsis? If you received a plant labeled "moransis" you might want to change that. I would think it should be P. moranensis. Although its seems that ID is wrong anyway.
smile.gif
Thought I'd mention it just in case any tags were labeled "moransis."

i got one of these gemmae from copper a while ago ( thank you ) it does'nt seem to be a temperate species , she proabably mean plantlets that grew at the side of the mother plant . my gemmae is dark red all over right now , it has'nt grown and i keep it in a mexican ping soil mix .

Yes, yes, you are correct, moranensis.

I should explain.  I have been working tremendous hours for most of the last six months and, alas, having blond moments (no insult meant to blonds).  I will lighten the mood by confessing my tremendously blond moment of this weekend.  All the guys are going to love this.

(I also confessed this to my Sargent.  I went into his office and said, "Sarge, I have to confess to my blond moment".  He said, "what?"  I repeated myself.  Sarge kicked back in his chair, put his feet up on the desk, stretched back, put his hands behind his head and got comfortable.  He said, "Okay. go ahead".)

{On my own behalf I will also explain that on Friday I worked 17 hours, on Saturday I worked 12 hours and on Sunday another 17 hours.  My brain was going onto fry.  I am functioning on three hours of sleep right now.}

You see, we do all the routine maintenance on our patrol units ourselves. {The guys are probably afraid already} I actually rebuild motorcycles with my husband and have no problems with routine maintenance on any of my vehicles.  Ah, but fatigue can cause serious loss of brain function.  (It causes me to rush things and not pay proper attention.  My patrol unit was due for an oil change and the powers that be forgot to get it in, so the little oil light keeps coming on.  A true annoyance if you are trying to run dark at night.  My car had also been losing oil so I figure maybe if I top it off the light won't tigger so much.  So I pull into the garage of the station and check the level.  Sure enough, its low.  So I go to the shelf we keep the oil on and grab the grey quart bottle.  Its front is facing away from me, but hey, that doesn't matter.  I'm tired, it looks like the oil bottle and it is in the position we keep the oil in.  No problem.  I open it up and start pouring.  After a few ounces it dawns on me that the fluid coming out of the bottle is not the right color for oil.  It's red.  So how many of you have poured power steering fluid directly into your engine.  I went from fatigue to near panic within a few seconds.  I topped of the car with OIL (which was in a box on the floor)this time and called several mechanics.  They said, "Hmm, never heard of that one before", But they all felt the vehicle would be alright until its oil change on Monday.

My Sargent just laughed.  He thought it was pretty funny.  He chuckled for a few minutes on that one.  But the ending is good.  My patrol unit is fine and after a good night sleep most of the blond hair should have worked out of my very dark auburn.  (You know my Sargent will have to use this against me sometime, but honesty is always the best policy)

Goldtrap, I'm afraid that they are right.  The plant looks to be a macroceras.  It won't actually bother me.  I have more moranensis.  This is gemmae.  We will know when it flowers.

lol Copper. Well....maybe you put the wrong fluid in...but I wouldn't have known where to put ANY fluid, red or otherwise. So you're one up on me...probably many up on me.
biggrin.gif
I just had a hard time figuring out where some fuses go. Ask me something about a horse, I can probably tell you...a car? Forget it! As far as I'm concerned, they just haul dirt/peat/plants and old treasures.
smile.gif

Back