What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. heterophylla and p.'apassionada'

very nice and good growing.

That is doing well.
smile.gif

It should flower for you by next summer, it looks big enough.

Dino,

Where did you find the name P. 'Apassionada'? I tried google, bit the only hit was your growlist.

I think it is supposed to be Pinguicula 'Apasionada'. Try searching for that cultivar instead.
smile.gif

I would love to get my hands on this hybrid. Does anyone in the States grow it or offer it for sale?

Take care,
Corey

Hi,
Sorry to disspaoint you guys, this hybrids correct name is 'Apassionada';it is not officially registered
It was made by Stan Lampard( he refuses to register his spectacular hybrids such as this one despite attempts to convince him to do so) and most people who have it live in the UK, this is still a small amount, however, and I dont know anybody who has it outside the UK(although probably a few people have it), so you wont find it in the US, sorry
smile_h_32.gif

Hi Dino,

Nice plants you have there. I got specimens of both of those plants from Stan himself. Do you find the gigantea alba x moctezumae to be an exceptionally vigorous plant? Mine grow like weeds. I am also growing my heterophylla on a windowsill. Can you offer any advice as to how to get it through the winter successfully? Congratulations on your success with this rare species.

Cheers,

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ Aug. 24 2005,8:45)]...this hybrids correct name is 'Apassionada';it is not officially registered
A google search on Pinguicula Apassionada produces 1 hit (Dino's growlist) and Pinguicula Apasionada produces several hits (including Vic Brown and jscarnivorous growlist). Unregistered cultivar names should be designated with double quotes.

According to my understanding, this hybrid's name is Spanish, which is quite fitting for a Mexican Pinguicula cultivar.  In which case, 'Apasionada' would be correct and not 'Apassionada'.

Youll have to ask Stan about this, but as far as I know that hybrid isnt registered and it isnt found in the US
As for the name, I dont know....Ive lost the label for this one but I remembered the name, so maybe I just accidentlly put an extra s

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Greg Allan @ Aug. 24 2005,2:59)]Hi Dino,

Nice plants you have there. I got specimens of both of those plants from Stan himself. Do you find the gigantea alba x moctezumae to be an exceptionally vigorous plant? Mine grow like weeds. I am also growing my heterophylla on a windowsill. Can you offer any advice as to how to get it through the winter successfully? Congratulations on your success with this rare species.

Cheers,
Hi Greg,
I find P.heterophylla to be very easy(unlike P.moctazumae which is withering away in the same conditions!) and I find it to be very vigorous
I kept mine barely moist throughout the winter, but it did go bone dry a few times, however no harm came to it
P.heterophylla will stop growing right around now, youll know because there will be no more visible leaves coming from the crown(there will probably be a very small hole in the centre in th emiddle of all the leaves)
This is the sign to cut down on watering, from there on I just kept the soil wet(but not standing in water) and I allowed it to dr out between waterings
Once all the growth has died away, just keep barely moist, although they can go bone dry at times(as they would in their natural habitat) but it shoudlnt do any harm
Ive heard from indymental that if you dig up the bulb and pull away a few of the winter leaves, they will grow into small plants which are a very popular item when advitised in the trading section
I shall be taking cuttings this year and I will tell you how it goes
smile.gif

Back