What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. gypsicola care plz help

Help me guys, I'm flying blind here!

So I have a P. gypsicola that's doing *great* even though I have ABSOLUTELY no clue as to why

Now it's producing a winter rosette. I've removed some carnivorous leaves for propagation, though don't know precisely how to get good results.

The thing is, because I'm about to let the thing dry out completely, I have concern for the small plantlets developing at the base of the stem. They're about 1/2cm high, and when removed by tweezers they come free without any effort at all. They have roots, though small. I am concerned that in the event of the adult's extremely dry dormancy, the plantlets, which are barely connected (if at all) to the parent, will desiccate. What is your experience with this?

I have removed two of the four (I believe) plantlets developing, and plan to introduce them to their own pots of identical soil mix. I don't know if they can experience dormancy yet so the plan is to grow them as the adult has been, carnivorously, until they are large enough and begin their own dormancies.

Also, although carnivorous leaves still remain on the adult plant, should I allow the pot to dry out completely now, or wait until full development of the succulent rosette? What other environmental changes are important to make during dormancy? Photoperiod? Temps?

In the future, are there any cues as to when I should resume watering the adult, or should I wait for a specific period of time and begin regardless of growth?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Pretty certain P. gypsicola does not need an extremely dry dormancy, just drier than your your typical moranensis but not as dry as heterophylla. The small planlets should be able to transistion into their succulent phase no problem. For now, I would just continue to slowly decrease watering. You will start watering again once longer leaves start to appear in the spring.

Some people recommend bone dry, but if you give the parent plant a little water once a week, that would be fine. I would keep propagating the leaves from the perimeter. Speaking from painful experience, one is tempted to think that they have plenty of whatever, and suddenly, something bad can happen, wiping out everything. Always have backups, especially of teh sought after plants, like P. gysicola.

Thanks guys! A compendium so far of the info I'm getting:

-Slowly decrease watering
-Plants can take small amounts of water during succulent phase
-Plantlets should be fine
-Propagate as much as possible using remaining carnivorous leaves
-Resume watering when carnivorous leaves reoccur
-Dormancy can last 6 months
-Photoperiod, temps should not be too much of an issue if they remain stable

Jeff, are your juvenile plants watered during dormancy?

Anyone have pulling propagation tips? :p Can you use succulent leaves of P. gypsicola for pullings?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Bonjour

yes you can use succulent leaves for cutting .It is even advisable on all Mexican ping to use them for cuttings when they are dormant, in fact when they are succulent (have reserves).
When the cuttings become juvenile it is best to give them water (not too much), at home in principle I always leave a cycle to be done before putting them as dormant as adults

jeff

Back