What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. esseriana...

Hi folks just want to know if esseriana has a dormancy peroid or not. Thanks for the help...

It can survive without dormancy but as for many Mexican Pinguicula, it is better to have a dry dormancy.

Here is more informations on Pinguicula esseriana:
Pinguicula esseriana

Thanks for the help epbb. When you say dry dormancy, does that mean I could take it off the water try method? If so how should I water it?

It depends to a certain extent on where? and how warm? you keep Mexican Pings over the winter, as to how dry you can keep them without desiccating them to death. If the are kept quite warm and in dry air, such as inside a house, they will probably dry out too much when kept in dry soil over winter and probably die. At cooler temperatures and at higher humidity, such as a cool greenhouse, they will survive dry winter periods much more easily.

Luckily, P. esseriana is one of the easiest Pings to cultivate and it is tolerant of damp soil and warm temperature conditions all year. Allow the soil to dry out for a few days between waterings, and don't stand permanently in water.

Vic

Thanks for the info Vic. This will be my first winter for my plants, and I need all the help I can get so I don't kill them.
confused.gif

I don't really worry to much about my Mexican Pinguicula. I just keep watering it throughout the year, but when it looks like the leaves are hardeinging and dewless, i just water about once a week, via tray method.

I keep all of my Pings (Mexican/USA/temperate) in sopping wet muddy peat -- 24/7/365. I give them lots of light whenever they have leaves that are above the soil.

Hey showbiz,

Don't forget that winter is also one of the best times to take leaf cuttings from your esseriana!

Back