What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. 'Enigma'

My P. 'Enigma' is flowering and I am wondering, can it self pollinate? Or should I just clip the flower?

Pinguicula 'Enigma' does not yet exist, the name is pending until officially published. It is still known officially only by its Yucca Do identification, see: Eric's Yucca Do pages

Perhaps it can be self pollinated. If you are interested in growing a population of distinct individual Pinguicula plants with this plant as their parent, I say: "Go for it."

If you are successful (or not), please let us know. This can be very valuable information.

Cut the flower?!!!! No, no, no. Enjoy the beauty! Flowers are the best part of growing Pings!

I'm with Tamlin, who cares about seeds when you can enjoy the flower.

I never had any success when I tried to self mine last season but I tried using pollen from the flower I was trying to pollinate. If you swap pollen between flowers (which should be easy to do since this guy almost always sends up blooms in pairs) it might work.

I disagree with Darcie that you shouldn't care about seed as hybrids can be very cool but I do agree that you should not cut off the flowers. They don't weaken the plant any and like Tamlin said they are beautiful

Back