What's new

Overgrown Orchid!

Vbkid

Getting There...
Probably 8 years ago I went to a local orchid show. Bought a small plant, maybe 4 inches tall. This is it today. The stakes are about a meter long for reference. Hasn't bloomed for me ever, but it seems pretty happy I guess? Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20221118_094154560.jpg
    IMG_20221118_094154560.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 10

JoeG

Supporter
It seems healthy enough. Generally when an orchid or just about any plant that doesn’t bloom, it’s due to lack of enough light. It would help if you had the species or hybrid name.

Lighting is frequently not the trigger factor for tropical epiphytic orchids. Photoperiod, or temperature, or moisture levels more often.

It is definitely a Dendrobium, beyond that, can't really tell until we see flowers.
Congrats with it and good luck with blooms!

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Looks like a Den. Joe is quite correct, generally if an Orchid isn't blooming a lack of sufficient light is often part of the problem. Many of the dens are ones desiring full sun for at least a good part of the day. And yours is stretching for the light. If you could keep it outside at least spring through fall, the change in temps and photoperiod could help trigger blooming.