What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outside

For those of us who don't have pumps installed to get the water circulating, how often would you guys recommend removing the water from the tray and adding in fresh water? That stuff gets pretty stagnant quickly considering all the minerals flowing into it from the media + dead bugs, rotten leaves, etc.

Thanks.

Johnny

I cleaned mine out (when I used the tray method) weekly. Kept mosquitos away, algae down, and chances of fungus' and molds were then lessened. You might be suprised how (to me anyway) fresh a bog can smell. No stagnant water when its moving and being constantly replenished. Actually, a very healthy environment for life of all kinds.

very true. Whenever I've visited a bog, it had a nice sweet smell of pine needles and sphagnum and the waters were always a dark tea color, but clear. I've always thought it was too acidic to support much fish or amphibians however--if anything, it looked extremely sterile.

Okay i Have a pot sitting in a water tray and now i have it in full sun, should cut a hole in a cloth slip it over my plant so that it just covers the sitting water? That would keep leaves and mosquitos from getting into the water and would keep most of the water from evaporating.

Also my sarracenia began to plower but the stalk got about 3-4 inches tall before it completely froze. I mean the stalk isn't dead but it isn't growing neither.

If the plant wants to, it CAN abort flowering for reasons of its own. Keep an eye on the flower until it shows signs of die back. Otherwise, just remove it, and try again next year. I can't say I go for your method for keeping the leaves out, and the water in, but what the heck! Try it. Can't hurt. Evaporation will do its thing in spite of the cloth. And you need the evaporation for the humidity around your plants, however little that humidity may be.

Back