What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outside or Inside

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Last spring I took my collection of pings outside, in full sunshine. They didn't react, since I had them in bright shade for a week. However, full sunshine also meant full exposure to the other elements, particularly rain. We had an all day rain and the tray they were in got flooded. That resulted in the scattering of plants and leaves, as well as killing some plants within a week or several weeks later or totally stunting their growth, as well as killing the 2 flowers that were in existence at the time.

My question is if I could find a location, like under or at the edge of the porch, where they would get less than full sunshine but protected from rain, would that work? Would a few hours of sunshine, with lots of bright shade be enough for giving them color and growth? It's either that or a window sill or maybe under a shoplite.

I have some of mine in filtered shade/sun and they grow and flower just fine. You may not get the deep coloring though.
Protection from rain sounds like a little more important than a lot of sun at this point?!
smile_m_32.gif

Peter

Yeah, I'd just like to avoid "browning heart" next time around!

I grow all of my pings outside in full sun with no problem from rain except for the occasional broken leaf. So what I recromend is for you to soak their roots in superthrive for a little and then plant them in their medium, but make sure that you don't get rain for a week or so. After that or while planting them pack the soil around them securly and step back and watch them grow!

I've got some P. moranensis in a 6" pot with sand/clay/perlite. They get 6 hours of sun and I top water them now and then. So far, so good; nights are dipping under 50 degrees F and the plants are forming hairy winter rosettes. P. gigantea is out there in similar conditions, also doing fine. For whatever that's worth.

Peter

Peter, is the 6 hours direct sun or part bright shade? You've never had them rained upon such that they were submerged?

other than a bog im setting up next spring just to see what all i can get to survive our winters im going to grow everything indoors. my Mexi pings didnt mind our summer but i found weeding the pots to be a royal pain in the arse. out here on the plains everythings seeds are transported by the wind. i had to weed my pots every week
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Peter, is the 6 hours direct sun or part bright shade? You've never had them rained upon such that they were submerged?

Sorry, I forgot to check back on this thread. I have the plants in 6 hours of direct sun. What I've done for dormancy is I taken them out of trays so it rains on them but they drain right away. That way I can also hose them down during dry spells if I like.

Your best bet is probably either under the porch like you said or in a bright windowsill...

Back