What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

outside Drosera capensis?

growergray

Just a guy
Quick(and possibly stupid) question,
Is it possible to grow a cape sundew outside? Everything I read tells me it's a windowsill/terrarium/greenhouse plant. Just curious...
note: I do live in mild-wintered, magma-hot-summered houston

Well in warmer climates this can become rather invasive, frankly. If you have suitable conditions (they have been known to survive frezes) there is frankly no reason why you cant try it atleast once.

Mine have survived temps from 25f-100f here in Georgia.I grow them outside year round.

Jerry

It may just be shock from moving them, but I noticed that they died down and grew all deformed during the middle of summer here. They picked back up as soon as the weather cooled a little though.

You could always give it a try, they're really tough.

Being in Houston, you can probably grow them outside all year round. Just be cognizant of the occasional cold snaps. Your climate is very similar to that of Cool85k5 (Jerry). Also be careful not to move a plant that is radically different from the current temp and humidity.

Right, thanks for the tips everybody...

Looks like I'm just gonna have to experiment a bit.

Right, thanks for the tips everybody...

Looks like I'm just gonna have to experiment a bit.

It's the only way to learn something!

xvart.

Somebody say experiment? :-D

Drosera capensis would survive a Nuclear Attack from Iran!!
It would livee aslong as u give it life giving water thats 4 sure

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend who grew his outdoors in a bog where it experienced 4 freezes. He brought the bog in a greenhouse set to a low of 40F where it continues to survive.

I think it survived the freezes because the bog was radiating some of the heat it had stored during the day and the plant was protected by the cover of other plants--so while there was a light frost on the periphery of the bog, there was none in the center (where the plant was). So it may not have actually experienced a true frost.

But D.capensis can definitely take temperatures lower than most people would think.

It was the heat I was most worried about. It get very humid here and the winters, as I mentioned, are usually very mild.

Sorry, I misread.

Heat shouldn't be a problem either. I've never lost a capensis to heat. They are very tough plants.

Cool
(from the sound of things, I'll be cursing the toughness of this plant in a few years ...)

More like in a few months! But you can give them away to friends (or enemies!):jester:

the friends idea occured to me...good way to bring up my new hobby:

"yea, I'm into carnivorous plants now...want one?"

:)

Seriously, when I worked at a lab in PA, I gave starter cp's away to ~10 co-workers. Not that any of them are still into it, but hey, ya never know.

Back