What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of whack dormancies

I wasn't quite sure where to put this question since it involves 2 plants with slightly different dilemnas.

The first involves a Drosera rotundifolia that has just begun growing a couple of weeks ago. Due to not completely understanding the dormancy requirements of this species, I had thought to have lost the last of them last year. But now that I've just rediscovered it, what would be the best recommendations for keeping this individual alive for more than a couple of months? I am now aware that its need for cold is more fundamental than many of the other temperates I have, but given that it is growing way out of season, I'm not quite sure how I should proceed for its dormancy. There is a section at the top of my fridge that hovers right at the freezing point. Would this be a good location if I were to put it in the fridge?

I also have an orchid, Bloetilla (sp?) sp., that I have had for many years. It is in a pot which I keep outdoors during the summer and indoors in the winter. It is kept bone dry in the winter until growth reappears. It has never produced flowers for me, and every year, it emerges a month earlier in the spring (now winter) than the year before. Despite actively growing far later into the season than ever before this last summer, it has just emerged again. Is there anything I can do to regulate its dormancy pattern to a more normal (and for me convenient) cycle?

Note: It grows and divides well, so other than the flowering and dormancy issues, it is doing well for me. The real problem is that I'm not sure I have space for it in the winter in any of my well-lit areas.

Thank you.

Chris

If your sundew has just now started growing, you can wait to put it to sleep untill next fall. You don't need to freeze the poor thing, just put it in a plastic baggy and then in a paper bag and then into the fridge when it goes dorment next year. The change in lighting should be enough to trigger it to get ready for sleep on it's own
wink.gif

Back