What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Pooch

• Thread starter WildBill
  • Start date
Hey everyone -

Just tonight we got a call from an animal talent agency in New York City. They want our dog, Gypsy, for a very very small part in a feature film!! We have to be on the set Saturday at 9am.

gyps-lowres.jpg

Gypsy, the fearless CP protecting squirrel hunter (she has caught and killed 3 this fall and a rat too) and soon to be star.......

WildBill

Am I too late for the party? I can't see the image.

And.. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Congratualtions!!

She definitely has character and is cute to boot!
Good luck!

She is a "Save a Sato" rescue. They rescue dogs from the streets of Puerto Rico and give them care and send them up to Connecticut and Massachussetts. Gypsy and her sisters were abandoned in a cardboard box as puppies. Last fall there was a fund raiser in Mass. and we actually got to meet the woman who rescued her. It's a great rags to riches story, huh? "Puerto Rican street dog makes it big on the silver screen".

Gypsy.jpg

Gypsy as a puppy.

WildBill

That is a super cute dog! Congratulations, please keep us posted on everything!!
unclesam.gif
ghostface.gif
(sorry, I know those emos don't go there, just testing them... These are aplicable:
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
laugh.gif

What a great story! And beautiful dog! I'm excited for you. Keep us informed on her performance. (But she is already doing a great job with the squirrels - & rat!)

update us on the whole movie and wat its about so then i can start making bets with my friend about the new movie

Aw what a cute dog!!! shes adorable!! Congrats
laugh.gif

Hey,
    Very nice looking canine ya got there,
                     Kevin

Kevin, how so? My gosh, but animals in movies is not new.

Hey,
I realized that theres alot of animals used for movies......nevermind, just random thoughts
tounge.gif
Kevin

lets just hope that she's not gonna be in " all dogs go to heaven 3 " or " good boy 2 " but if shes in 1000 dalmatians then that would be wonderful .
biggrin.gif

Hey Bill, i never knew you had such a cool dog.  Just wondering: How many plants has she killed and/or depotted?

Do they give you money or just give her all the doggie treats she wants?
wink.gif
) CP money?!?

Hey everyone -

Whew what a LONG day, 9am til 10 at night. A lot of "hurry up and then wait". Gypsy was originally just going to be in one scene, but they liked her a lot and she was filmed in 4 short scenes today. She did really well considering she's just our pet - no special training or anything (yet). They said they may write her into a few more parts.

So here's the scoop:

It's a Merchant/Ivory Film called "Heights". Gypsy plays Jesse Bradfords dog. He's the guy in that movie Swimfan. He was a really nice, normal, and down to earth cool guy. All the crew people there were really nice too, petting Gypsy every time they went by - we were pleasantly surprised since we didn't really know what to expect.

Also in the cast is Elizabeth Banks - we just saw one shot of her going down some stairs. And speaking of Dalmatians.....Cruella herself, Glen Close, is in the movie too (but not as Cruella, whew). She was there today but we didn't get to even see her. They pretty much cleared everyone out while she was around.

Yes, Gypsy will get paid and Dena and I ate lunch with Jesse (he wanted to be around Gypsy) and the crew. Maybe they'll put 'WildBill' in the credits as "Assistant to Miss Gypsy", ha!

It was a great day, we met a lot of nice, interesting people, and after a 2 hour drive from NYC we are glad to be back home in Connecticut.

WildBill

PS: In a conversation with the promotional still photographer I was having, I was asked for my card. So I said, "Do you want my Carnivorous Plant Card or my CG Animator card?" He chose the CP card and I let him know that if he got in touch with me next spring, I'd send him a VFT.

So, how did they even find you?  Was there a pet talent scout?  Auditions?  I find this very interesting.  I don't have a dog - yet.  How was Gypsy through this whole thing?  Just another day on the set?  Then is this a new career for her?  You even got Glen Close (with dalmations & everything) - whew, isn't that something!  
laugh.gif

congratulations! how much cp money did you bring in?
wow.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif

If there are pet auditions, I'm bringing my dog!
biggrin.gif
My dog has a tooth problem, so it always looks like she is "smiling"!
biggrin.gif

That is awsome! Gypsy will be famous! Sounds like a really interesting day. And Gypsy is a beautiful dog. I can see why they wanted to use her. What a neat experience for all of you.

I'd like to see the movie. Any idea when it will be released?

Can I have Gypsy's paw print?
biggrin.gif

Hey again everyone. We still don't know when the film will come out. For folks like Spectabilis, I thought I would share how Gypsy got the part.

We did not do any audition - it turns out the Director or Producer of the film just liked her look. Last summer we saw an article in our local paper about a poodle that did a shoot and was dyed bright pink. In the article it mentioned an animal talent agency. So, on a whim, we searched out the agency on the internet and emailed them a picture of Gypsy. They emailed back and said she had a unique look, wanted to know if she had any "off-leash training" - we said nope, and they said they would keep her name "on file". We didn't really expect to hear anything further and got a call out of the blue last Friday night to be on the set at 9am the following day.

The woman at the talent agency said they get THOUSANDS of pictures. She did say that when submitting photos they just want a good shot of the dog, not the owner or any people, not with a toy, not a costume, not a weird background; just a good clear representative photo of the dog on a plain background. We found out that the film's producers were a sent bunch of photos and little Gypsy was picked out of the line up.

I think it was a lot of luck too and that we are relatively close to New York where they were filming. It still almost doesn't seem real - like when you wake up and wonder if it really happened or not. Now, I think we will start some advanced "off-screen" training.

WildBill

That is so cool, hopefully maybe my pets can go onto the big screen, but I don't think fishes, frogs, and lizard will play any roles. But each creature is unique =D.

Back