What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordering from allen lowrie

Does Allen Lowrie give out his e-mail for ordering plants?

I have his address and fax number but e-mail would be faster than mail and cheaper than faxing.

I'm looking to get his latest list.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

i dont believe he uses email at all

Thats kind of what I thought. Old school I guess. Looks like a fax is the way to go. Thanks for the quick response.

Glenn

I have it straight from the horses mouth, albeit this was about 2 years ago, that he has an email address but is very selective about who gets it. He deliberately avoids doing business via email as he feels he wil become too busy.

If you do manage to get his email then you're doing well.
He's a bit of an old bloke so I guess he trying to wind down a little.

Cheers, Troy.

As of last year, I was told he didn't have access to the Internet. Interesting.

He does have access to the internet and does have an email address. He could even be reading this post as I type. He knows that if his email address is to become known he will become inundated with requests for orders as well as general information.

I questioned how it could possibly be that a man of his acclaim didn't have access to the Internet or an e-mail address last year when an entire group of us wanted to verify availability of seed before placing a substantial order. Nope, no Internet and no e-mail was what was relayed to me but I was told he had a fax machine that could be hooked up. I was told by the individual who was placing the order on behalf of all of us that Mr. Lowrie had stated the order could be mailed to him along with payment in Australian $s and that he'd get back to the order placer with any seed that might be out of stock and offer money back or substitutions. I suppose the possibility exists that Mr. Lowrie stated he didn't have an e-mail address he was willing to share however this seems rather odd to me given he offers a catalogue of seed for sale and wouldn't one in business want to be inundated with orders?  His catalogue of seed is representative of the most extensive offering of seed I have ever seen so I would presume he wants to sell it.  Repeated requests for general information would most assuredly be incredibly annoying given I am told he always includes comprehensive growing instructions with every order.

It is a shame that it would appear Mr. Lowrie has had a few experiences that may not have been all that positive which have prompted him to withhold a means by which to contact him via e-mail.

You made this statement,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He could even be reading this post as I type
Hopefully, if he is reading this he will choose to register someday. He would be a welcome addition and I suspect the vast majority of people here would respect his privacy and would lay off the PM feature. I'm sure there would be a few who would not be able to contain their excitement but I have no doubt they'd be disciplined accordingly by the moderators.

Laura

I know Allan a little, he lives about 10 minutes away from where I grew up and he was one of the first CP people I met. He probably doesn't realise it but some of his stories about the Nep trips he did to Sumatra, a long time ago, were  instrumental in making me want to go there for myself.

From what I understand he enjoys tooling around the countryside looking at CP's, growing them, etc more than the "business" of CP's. Selling them isn't the point, and he isn't concerned at building an empire.
It's just a guess but I would say that selling seed is a way to finance his hobbie. and not much more.
I think he just wants to enjoy himself as he goes along.

Cheers, Troy.

Exactly as Troy has stated. Allen uses funds raised from the sale of plants and seed to travel the country in his search ans study of CPs. His intention is not to become so overwhelmed with orders that he doesn't have the time to fill them or have the time for his expeditions. He certainly isn't in the business to fund his retirement.

I can appreciate that. I certainly know my priorities have changed considerably in just the past year. One does reach a point where they feel comfortable enough to begin slowing down and "smelling the roses". The kids get a little older and become increasingly more independent which enables one to give their kids more rein and money becomes less of an issue as one learns how to manage what they have better. Yes, I can see where one can reach a point where they want to focus more on enjoying themselves as they go along. Just 8 more years and we'll be empty nesters...more time to tool around for us then! Do you think our kids would mind if we moved and left no forwarding address?

Back