What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid purchasing trip

Hi there fellow orchideres (ears?)

Just got back from Jakarta where I went to see an orchid farm that we are trying to raise the cash to buy. Total area is 7 hectares consisting of close to half a million plants, mostly dendrobium and vanda. I got some pics which I have to get developed so expect them soon. I also got a few unsual species while there including the black orchid from Kalimantan which is a species of Coelogyne, and a strange cycad I had never seen before.

I'll post the pics by tomorrow.

Cheers, Troy.

Sounds awsum Troy, I'm lookin forward to seein the piccies!
biggrin.gif

Troy, sounds like you had a killer trip. hope the pics turn out. a black orchid now that will be a sight to see
smile.gif

You woulnd happen to need any employees would you?
wink.gif

Peace
biggrin.gif

Troy - you didn't say. Did you find any Gastrochilus?

Hi guys

I was a bit disappointed in the pics.
I took them specifically to use in a report I had to write on the viability and profitability of the farm so from that point of view they were OK, stuff like stainless mixing tanks and water pumps. Over all they were not very scenic or attractive and I don't know how interesting they would be to anyone not interested in purchasing the place.

Check this out:

James-Story.jpg

These plants are called James Story, they are usually about 1.5m high!!!!

Khai - from what I have read of your posts I would snap you up in a sec but I don't know if local wages ('bout US$60 a month) would appeal to you?

Merlin - sadly apart from the black orchid there was not much out of the ordinary. I didn't have time to go to the big Anggrek (orchid) market as I hoped. I am off to Singapore on the 13th and I will be visiting a guy who has a massive collection of species (rather than huge quantities of any one species) and he is getting old and wants to sell. I expect to find some interesting stuff there.

Cheers, Troy.

Troy, kool pic thu. not something you see every day over here.

good luck on your trip to singapore hope ya find some kool stuff let us know what ya find too.

Hmm. . 60 bucks a month eh?
What does that buy you in Jakarta?

Why not make me you manager or something, wink  
wink.gif

Ive got the perfect pay scale, you only need to have me on the payroll for a month but I would work until retirement.You pay me a penny for the first day I work and everyday after that you double it for a month.
biggrin.gif

In all seriousnes though I wish you the best in your bussines ventures.
Looks like youll be supplying the cut flower trade?

Peace
biggrin.gif

Back