What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid is flowering

Hello,
I have a orchid I bought from a local nursery in December of 2001. It had 10 flowers on it, the 2 flower stalks died, and it just.... stayed the same for about a year; no new leaves, nothin.
wow.gif
Well, in December 2002 it started to put up a ofshoot from the soil, it's 1 1/2 feet long now, and I finally see a flower scape coming out!!! YAY!!!
biggrin.gif

-Spec73

sympodial orchids (the type that grow from a creeping rhizome will bloom when their new growths have matured.
I have a few Brassia Orchids whos new growth are nearing maturity and I can't wait, cos I've never seen the flowers on either of these as I bought them "cheap" when they went out of bloom!

Hey Spec,

What type of orchid did you get? Is the newest growth really 1.5 feet long?

Mike
smile.gif

I bought a new brassia recently, out of bloom. Its flowers are a beautiful bright orange with maroon specks. They were very small and priced at $30 but I found one in the out of bloom section for $12! I snatched that up. Can't wait for it to bloom for me. I love the brassias. I also saw, for the first time, some brassias at Lowes. They were $30 as well but I'm hoping maybe they will end up in the clearance section.

Suzanne

RRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

IT'S GONE!!!! THE FLOWER STALK IS GONE! SOMEONE MOVED IT AND IT BUMPED ON SOMETHING, BREAKING OFF THE SCAPE!!! NOW I'LL NEVER KNOW WHAT SPECIES IT IS!!!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Ok, I'm done venting...
I'm greatly dissapointed that someone broke off the flower scape. I'm looking at the broken scape right now, about 3 inches broken off... Will my orchid flower again? will it put up a second scape? (please please please! *crosses fingers*
sad.gif
)
please help me on this!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (monkeyman @ April 15 2003,6:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey Spec,

Is the newest growth really 1.5 feet long?

Mike
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yup, not joking.
biggrin.gif

I do not have an answer for you, but wanted to offer my condolences. Good Luck.

If it broke off above a node, it'll probably send out another one.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tim @ April 23 2003,05:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If it broke off above a node, it'll probably send out another one.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Woohoo, I just looked at it again, and I see a branch growing off from the base of the broked flower scape! (a node) I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
:D:D:D:D:D

Back