What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opposite dormancy

i ordered a big mouth that was imported from australia, when it gets here it will probably be dormant, how do i get it to acclimate to U.S. seasons. (in other words when its winter the plant will think its summer, visa versa) anything i could do? its a 2-3 year old.

Thanks
smile.gif
confused.gif

VFTs can skip a dormancy without any long term or detrimental effects. The next years growth may be slowed some, but its not a big deal. And since the plant is just coming out of dormancy---it'll probably think its just a Loooooong season between now and fall 2005.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just skip this year and enjoy it throughout the winter---However, you may need to provide it with 16 hrs of light/day during the fall, winter and spring.

HTH

is there anything i can do in order for it to go into dormancy this coming winter?

You can put it into dormancy probably just by exposing it to the naturally shortening photoperiod and cooler temps. BUT do you WANT it to go back into dormancy that soon? I don't have that answer. May do more harm than good.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

i bought the plant from cook's, it says "imported from australia. Actively growing, however aren't as deep trapped do to the time of year. They will color as time progresses and temps cool." maybe they dont come dormant after all.. someone told me they would, what do you think?

I'm guessing that it was maybe fresh from T/C so just let it tell you what to and what not to do. If it wants to go dormant, let it and vice vera.

Hey you'll be fine. Oh and They won't grow any weaker than you think. Here are some photos of my "Bigmouth" I bought at the same source.

A few months after purchase:
cpuk.jpg

The next year:
Bigmouth4.jpg

When I first got it, it was dormant and only about as large as the baby plants you see next to the adult. Some facts about the plant is that it will only grow flat rosettes and will produce huge dark red traps.

Good luck
Phong

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ July 13 2004,10:05)]is there anything i can do in order for it to go into dormancy this coming winter?
Put it in the fridge with lights if possible. Mine just sense the temp and burst out of dormancy once they hit the warm environment of singapore.

what if you grew it in winter and let it go dormant in summer?

Just grow like all your other VFTs. Your plant will grow adapt and be just as strong as any other plant.

is there any way to tell it's dormant by just looking at it?
confused.gif

Back