What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinons wanted Re: ventricosa

I'd like to get your guys opinions on ventricosa. I know this nep is usually thought of as boring and a common "beginner" house plant of the nep community sometimes, however I have always really found them quite beautiful and interesting.

Since I've been out of the CP world for some time until recently I wanted to see what people are thinking is the nicest or best clone or variety that is currently readily available to us.

Also pictures are always welcome.

_jess_

There are many nice clones of Nepenthes ventricosa, it's actually a very underrated species. The common "Red" clone is very nice, "Black Peristome" and any of the "Porcelain" clones are also pretty plants. Some of EP's lettered clones are also spectacular. The similar and closely related N.burkei is also a species worth checking out.

Last edited:
N. ventricosa 'Madja-As'* is an excellent clone (Borneo Exotics):
20140723-072653-26813806.jpg

*This plant is probably more closely aligned with N. burkei, but so what.

N. ventricosa 'Madja-As'* is an excellent clone (Borneo Exotics):
20140723-072653-26813806.jpg

*This plant is probably more closely aligned with N. burkei, but so what.

That's an "easy" Nep?

Porcelain clones are nice and I do really like all the lettered EP ones, but are those readily available? I even really don't see black peristome around and that used to be everywhere I remember. The ones I see offered most places are the "red" you mentioned which is nice, and one referred to as "vigorous".

You're right about N. burkei though I really like that plant I have a few on order. I may have to just wait until I have some tradable plants until I can maybe trade a fellow grower for some of the less common ventricosas.

Edit: That Madjas-As variety looks very much similar to the N. burkei plants I'm waiting for, which are also from BE....

Last edited:
@ Flip

I feel the same. I think they're rather nice, and it's no coincidence that they comprise the majority of my Nepenthes, either as species or hybrids. In my (admittedly limited) experience, they're very hardy, but not boring by any means.

For a "beginner" plant, I think they're pretty awesome, myself. They may be a bit boring compared to some of the more interesting HL'ers, but at least N. ventricosa can tolerate more variable conditions, and be grown by people that don't have an AC-unit and fogger attached to an indoor greenhouse, lol.

My ventricosa hybrids have withstood temperatures of over 100F during the day, and RH as low as 40. They've been forgotten for days at a time, withering and becoming brittle due to lack of water, but always sprang back. They've survived pest attacks, as well as commonplace negligence.

Since you asked for pics:

From top to bottom: N. ventricosa x (thorelli x aristolochiodes), N. 'Red Leopard' (N. ventricosa x maxima) iirc, N. ventricosa (species)

n-maxima-x-fusca-5-10-15.jpg

n-red-leopard-7-17-15.jpg

n-ventricosa-pitcher-11-15-14.jpg

Last edited:
Back