What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Online cp seed sources

I would be interested in members sharing with me who they purchase their CP seeds from and providing me with links. I'd prefer a North American origin. Thank you

The ICPS Seedbank is fantastic. I got my start with CPs after buying some Drosera capensis, D. binata, D. dielsiana and D. aliciae seeds from the seedbank and have since donated/traded seeds for far more exotic fare. Although ICPS membership is required to access the seedbank, the prices for seeds are much lower than those offered by commercial sources. Besides, you'll want to join just to read the CP Newsletter.

Hello Spectabilis, I prefer Yahoo but just because you can locate a source on the Internet doesn't mean they will be reputable. I've seen your posts and a personal recommendation from someone like you means a lot more to me.

Hello forbes, yes... I am a member. I have been for a few months.  Often times, the material contained therein is considerably over my head however I do try to make sense of it all.  Thank you for your link.  I will select seed to work with from them.

Yeah, finding seed/plant sources on a search engine can be tedious and tiresome, even if ultimately rewarding, I know this from personal experience.

Cooks Carnivorous Plants (USA) has a few variaties

CPCAN (Canada) sells bulk Sarracenia seed, and a couple types of Drosera

And Peter Paul's (USA) Sells several variaties as well

Good luck,
Nile

Edit: Links removed.. remember that PetFlytrap supports these forums for us to enjoy. Please avoid publicly posting links to competitors websites that carry many of the same products as PFT.

(note about Peter Pauls. In the past there has been lots of discussion about their ethical practices regarding wild collected plant material.)

BTW, Spec73, has anyone ever told you that you come off as a bit arrogant and condescending?

Okay, sorry about that...won't happen again.

I have only been with this hobby since last summer and with the forums since last fall. It wasn't until I saw an ad in the PFT / TFTrading Post for D. scorpiodes, which was in late January , that I began accumulating seeds and plants beyond the garden centers' offerings. All that is to say that I have just kept tabs with the trading post; made friends; tried to reciprocate; and have acquired many seeds, gemma, cuttings, and plants - all on a "shoestring budget". The people here are generous and it doesn't take long to build up a decent "grow list".
smile.gif

May I please have links to prior discussions regarding alleged practices of this Peter Paul place.  I am vehemently opposed to wild collection. I volunteer considerable hours working with children in an attempt to heighten their awareness of the natural world and I physically clean up "messes" and re-introduce native species on public property along with others. Those types of unorthodox practices undermine all the good going on out there. One exception, I am a proponent of plant saves on properties slated for the bull dozer.  Thank you to whomever inserted that comment.

Hello Nile, thank you for your suggestions.

And hello to you jimscott, what is a grow list?  Should I be maintaining one?  Is it simply what we are currently growing or rather trying to grow? Is there a place in these forums where I should be listing what I have here?  Let me know and I will add a list.

If you haven't already found this site. I highly recommend Barry's FAQ Barry's website

Some info on Peter Pauls.. Is a bit old but as far as anyone can tell, still pertains. link

Tony

Laura,

The more detailed and organized growers(I am on the opposite spectrum..:) usually maintain a grow list and sometimes a trade list.
A grow list is simply a list of all the species you grow(in this case all the cp you are currently growing).
A trade list is a list of extra plants you have from your grow list that you are willing to trade for plants you don't have.
I wish I was not such a lazy slob, and would keep better records of my plants and such. I remember when I had a Royal Red VFT and a Akai Ryu VFT in the same tank with no tag and thought ("I will be able to tell them apart"). Yeah right.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Oct. 20 2004,10:47)]I remember when I had a Royal Red VFT and a Akai Ryu VFT in the same tank with no tag and thought ("I will be able to tell them apart"). Yeah right.
bonk <span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>BonK</span>

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>BONK!!!!</span></span>

Bad Joe!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I remember when I had a Royal Red VFT and a Akai Ryu VFT in the same tank with no tag and thought ("I will be able to tell them apart"). Yeah right.

I'm guilty of that, too... ** ducks Tony's mallet ** HA! You missed me!
smile_n_32.gif

Well Tony!  Thank you for sharing that with me.  Regardless of the age of those comments, I would be of the opinion the unorthodox practices continue to this day and will continue until at such point in time as the individual is 6' under. Such a lucrative business and he is deriving substantial benefits by being rewarded with not only reduced overhead for his business which results in a higher profit but with a substantially reduced risk of being nailed criminally. Do you realize how difficult it would be to prosecute a guy like this?  It's business as usual for the morally bankrupt. Oh, I have no doubt the owner has become more discreet in his solicitation of "producers". I would even go so far as to take a guess his 1099's are issued to minors and/or many of his "transactions" are cash.  These types often seem to exploit minors and those in need of quick cash such as substance abusers. Sad reality is this may never catch up with him.  I am a member of a local gardening club.  There are a few members who are waiting to see how I do with CPs before they jump in.  I can assure you, I will see to it that a link to this thread is shared with them.  That will be two more people who will not be purchasing anything from that nursery.  Not much more I can do as I don't have contacts in the CP world. I will share with you that I had placed an order with him for next spring and that I was to have called him back with the final totals. That will not be happening as I would much prefer to spit in his face right about now.

Hello Griffin, a grow list...  why that won't be hard at all for me. I have 4 different Sarracenias; flava, minor, leuco x oreo, and purpurea.  I think I will go out tomorrow morning and take close up digital images of them and save the pictures so I don't end up wondering which tall pitcher was which next spring. I know I won't be able to tell the 3 tall ones apart without a tag or a label or something to stimulate neural cell activity in my noggin.  I've been slightly brain dead lately.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Oct. 21 2004,9:51)]And hello to you jimscott, what is a grow list? Should I be maintaining one? Is it simply what we are currently growing or rather trying to grow? Is there a place in these forums where I should be listing what I have here? Let me know and I will add a list.
I'm sorry, I missed this post until now. Some people are computer savvy enough to use their own websites to generate their grow list. I am not. Several others of us joined CPUK and compiled a grow list there. Then they imported it to their profile signature. That is what I did - with much help. I think i can actually help ya with that one!

I've had great luck with Doug and Vivi Rowland in the past 1995.
(Bought my Carnivorous Plants of Australia Vol 1+2 from them)
Nearly all the seeds I purchased germinated for me. They specialize primarily in succulents and cacti but do have a fair selection of CP's
They are in the U.K.

http://cactus-mall.com/rowland/

Kirk Martin
Fitchburg, Massachusetts

The sad thing about Peter Paul's is that they are quite frank about their field collection, and it is all perfectly legal! I was offered 50 cents a head for Sarracenia seed pods when I visited there back in the 70's when I told him I had access to Sphagnum bogs in my area. Since S. purpurea is not endangered or protected there is no crime being committed other than one of ethics. Needless to say, I boycott this dealer.

If you would like a selection of Drosera seed send me a email with your interests and mailing address to tamlindd@yahoo.com and I will be happy to get you going.

Hello Tamlin, Thank you very much for your very kind offer of seed.  Two men are sending us sundew plants for the school which will be instant gratification for the kids and one man is sending a VFT.  One of the men is including seed for D. filiformis. A young gentleman here in the forums is sending us seed for D. capensis.  I would love for you to pick one pack of seed for me to take to the school to let the kids try to germinate along with the other seed being sent.  Hardy forms of sundew would be preferable. Is one pack ok?

Hi Kirk, I looked at your link and I will definitely try them for myself here at home.  Which tall pitchers would you recommend?  Please pick three that you had success with that are not tropicals for me and I will order them.  

And Jim... here is my grow list for here at the house for me personally: S. flava, S. minor, S. leuco x oreo, and S. purpurea. How'd I do?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And Jim... here is my grow list for here at the house for me personally: S. flava, S. minor, S. leuco x oreo, and S. purpurea. How'd I do?

Hmm, all sarracenias - excellent start
smile_n_32.gif

Peter

Back