What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One more dormancy question

Okay, I live in south Florida. Zone 10 area. Winter to me is anything below 70F (feel my pain). Here is the thing I have to ask. Temps here will hit the 40's for about maybe a month at night unless we get a really cold winter which will mean we will get some high 30's (still feeling my pain?). I have VFTs and few others (I hate how there isn't a place to ask about multiple plants in one place ). So concerning my VFTs which are small and recently transplanted, do I need to put them in the fridge?

Sincerley,
Brendhan

I would, because it gives them a rest and they are healthier in the spring. Yeah you should definately do it because I used to try to skip dormancy when I first started growing VFT's and they would always die in about 2 years.

Than you very much for the answer I will put the VFT plants in next weekend.
Now onto the next topic area for other plants.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Understudy @ Dec. 11 2005,4:26)]Okay, I live in south Florida.
You're no fun at all - I didn't even get to guess. ;P
~Joe

PS - I think that flytraps will do fine outside in south Florida; I'm pretty sure this has come up on the forums before. They're from the Carolinas, after all. Besides, how much lower than 40 does it get in your fridge?

I live in S. Fl also...Fort Lauderdale to be exact.  It may occasionally get a little chilly down here in the mornings (low 40's) but it is rare that the afternoons are not at least in the 70's.  That is simply not cold enough for VFT's to go into dormancy.  If I do not do a three month refrigerator period my VFT's get smaller and smaller each year.

Just treat them with Cleary Fungicide 3336WP:... $3.99, available from PFT, put them in a plastic bag, pot and all, and stick them in the fridge.

Doesn't the length of daylight have something to do with dormancy? I live in Palm Bay (kinda east of Orlando) and mine seem to do fine outside.

I use to live in Melbourne. So I am familar with Palm Bay. I can say this it definitly tends get a little colder there than it does here even though I am only 140 miles south. I think I am going to have to give serious consideration to stuffing the plants in a large zip lock bag and placing them in the refrig.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

I've heard that reducing the water level and photoperiod can be enough for some plants... not sure if that's the case for VFTs. Fridge dormancy couldn't hurt, but if I had a spare VFT I'd leave it outside just to see what happens. I live in Washington, so it's plenty cold here for outdoor dormancy. I think fridge dormancy sounds like a lot of trouble and I'm not sure I'd put up with it for more than a season or two. But I'm lazy.
Best luck,
~Joe

I don't have many CPs so this is not a big deal to stuff them into the icebox. I think if I had a whole bunch of plants this would definitley be a pain in the butt. I don't have a spare VFT to try to leave outside at the same time. So I will have to risk stuffing them in the refrigarator.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The photo period does affect VFT's going into dormancy but I believe they need cold weather also.  The interior of Florida, Orlando,  gets a lot colder than the east coast because of the moderating effect of the Gulf Stream here.  I have tried putting some of mine in the fridge and leaving others outside and the refrigerated ones always do much better the following year.

Back