What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One intoxicated ant...

Cindy

Staff member
I saw this ant "feeding" on the mirabilis...so happily drinking it was that I could move the plant close for a macro shot...the pitcher is only about an inch and a half...

mira_ant_rs25.jpg

Closer up...

mira_ant_rs50.jpg

3 days later, I still found the ant on the pitcher...but it disappeared on the 4th day...

mira_ant2_rs50.jpg

Into the pitcher...

mira_ant3_rs50.jpg

Notice the air bubbles under the wings...

Excellent series... good pics.
smile.gif

Cindy,
That's great! 4 days? Boy, that ant has one BIG stomac! LOL.

WOW, excellent pics. That's one scary ant, nothing like the common ants we have around here. It looks huge! And its got wings?
wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (larry @ April 16 2003,08:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WOW, excellent pics.  That's one scary ant, nothing like the common ants we have around here.  It looks huge!  And its got wings?  
wow.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
It could be an ant wasp... Or those "werd blueish wasps"(don't know the name, saw them on the discovery channel 2 weeks ago, i see them in my yard all the time) ,that dig holes in sand and lay their eggs on insects that they've killed...
wow.gif

Awsome pic, Cindie!I hope you'll be seeing more ants getting drunk on pitcher juice soon!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
wow.gif
wink.gif

-Spec

Very cool <span style='color:red'>photoes</span>.

For those suffering from confusion, that is a <span style='color:red'>carpender</span> ant drone, young <span style='color:red'>quean</span> or a new queen <span style='color:red'>asistent</span> (all of which look very similar except for size and I have no scale)<span style='color:green'>.</span>

(spl chk, spl chk, spl chk, spl chk)

I had another of this ant on my emmarene pitcher...but in my enthusiasm to take a photo, I knocked it off! And it didn't return...

These ants are common here...they are attracted to light and fly into my food sometimes. Recently, it has been the small bees that come into my apartment at night...and one went right into my dish of prawns!
mad.gif

Ya BABY!!! DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif
Nice pics!

Travis

Back