What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oncidium in spike!

Hey all. My Oncidium is flowering and flowers began opening yesterday! Now I've got a couple of pics, and if anyone has similar plants with ID's, I'd like to know what they are.

Here's the second flower on the spike:
oncid_flower.jpg

This image shows all three (well, two-- one is forked) spikes if you look really close:
oncid_full.jpg

Once again, any ID info would be appreciated.

-D. Lybrand

It's not an Oncidium, it looks to be a Miltonidium- a cross between a Miltonia and an Oncidium. Couldn't tell you which species were used to create the cross though.

Looks like it has the parent of O. Josephine. Definitely a hybrid.

There's no way to narrow it down - it's one of a huge number of intergenerics.  Many have unbelievably complex ancestry and the large-scale growers that supply much of the market don't bother to register the crosses they sell.

Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate it.

A Miltonidium maybe? I was a little puzzled when the tag said "Oncidium - a hybrid between Orchids of several genera". I figured it had to be wrong in at least some way. (Darn Lowe's garden center!)

-D. Lybrand

People call those "Oncidium intergenerics" because the original genera that went into the mix are part of the Oncidium family.

It looks almost like a Colminara wildcat. But its the samle as Hernorthere said. Hard to be for sure. In fact Colminara wildcat the most famus colminara is not called a colminara anymore since one of the plants in the mix got its name changed, but I can't tell you what the new name is because I forgot. It looks similar to those though. I have like 3 different wildcats.

That's a popular one and they're considered to be strong plants and reliable bloomers. I, on ther hand, have managed to turn several large Colmanaras and other Onc intergenerics into small or dead plants. So I'm the last person who should be saying anything about that plant. But it sure reminds me of a Zygopetalum something or other. Are the flowers scented?

I don't see the zygo in that one, but heck I have only seen a few zygos. Mine is limping along. I still vote Wildcat. My wildcat Bruce seems to stay the same size. As new growth grows old ones die. Its in a slat basket now and I will be moving it to a pot and hopefully I can get it to put off double growth so I can get some size to it. Its has big Pbulbs just not many of them. It looks as if it wants to start two growths. I think I may be keeping it too dry so into a pot it will go!

I'll agree with Colmanara. The buds are very reminiscent of an Odontoglossum and the flowers bear traits of both Miltonia and Oncidium.

So it may be a Colmanara (sp?). Also, is 'Wildcat' a cultivar name? This has been a very productive thread!

-D. Lybrand

Yes, Wildcat is a cultivar name and there are some different Wildcats out there.  But Oncidium Family plants and I don't get along, except for the Tolumnias, which I love.  So never pay attention to anything I say about Oncidiums and their intergenerics.

Looking for wildcats now!

-D. Lybrand

Back