What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

old Utricularia seeds

Utricularia longifolia “multi-flowered scape” Araponga, Minas Gerais state, Brazil

51137606731_5a25de68ff_c_d.jpg

51137823113_ac09a609c0_c_d.jpg

51138383664_54a7216419_o_d.jpg

51137606771_113f4d30e8_c_d.jpg

When Fernando-san was studying abroad at the University of Tokyo, he kindly gave me a lot of Brazilian cp seeds. The seeds are 20+ years old now. I sowed one of them on February 19, 2021. I confirmed the germination of a couple of seeds on April 20th. The photo was taken on April 25th. The final germination rate may not be very good. But I can see some other seeds that the insides of them have turned green color, I expect them to germinate. I will post this progress here. Maybe I will sow other Utricularia species seeds he gave me as well. I will post about them here if they germinate. The seeds were stored in the refrigerator, so this may not be a rare case, though it is very interesting to me.

Kind regards from the Far East

P.S. I soaked the seeds in 1000ppm GA3 (gibberellic acid) solution for 24hrs.

I have wondered about old seeds in the refrigerator and whether they can still be sprouted. I can see that the current germination rate is probably not as high as one would get with fresh seeds but it is impressive knowing that they are 20 years old!

That's very impressive! I would have never thought that Utricularia seeds could still be viable after such a long time.

Update: Utricularia longifolia “multi-flowered scape” Araponga, Minas Gerais state, Brazil

51224270616_b92154e436_c_d.jpg

51225345075_17df0ef2a9_c_d.jpg

The photos were taken on May 25th.
There are seeds that are likely to germinate from now on, but they will not be able to be separated, so I would transplant them.
In the first place I didn't count how many seeds I had sown, so it's not appropriate to mention germination rates. But to put it bluntly, I'm satisfied.
There are still a lot of seeds because I just sown a part of the packet. Then I would like to pick up seeds that look decent appearance and examine the germination rate.

Thanks for sharing this, I have some U. praetermissa seeds coming; I will try soaking half of them in gibberellic acid to see if it impacts germination rates. I don't really expect the seeds to sprout (as I don't know how well they've been kept or how old they are) - we'll see. :)

Thanks for sharing this, I have some U. praetermissa seeds coming; I will try soaking half of them in gibberellic acid to see if it impacts germination rates. I don't really expect the seeds to sprout (as I don't know how well they've been kept or how old they are) - we'll see. :)
Interesting!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Back