What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, who has hermit crabs?

• Thread starter Vertigo
  • Start date
So...anyone besides me enjoy hermit crabs re-arranging their tanks at night?
tounge.gif

How'd I know.
wink.gif

How many you got spec? What sizes/species?

I have 11 or 10 at the moment, depending on if ones digging or not. I have PP's, E's, and a few in between that I haven't decided what they are yet. One of mine is almost black, it's great.

you mean there are different species?!
rock.gif

I got 2 very large ones... one of the shells is nearly the size of my fist

Yup. Carribean are usually reddish with purple pinchers, the greyish ones (sometimes other colors), are usually faster and are ecuadorian. There's some from australia, and india. Also there is a variety called strawberry that's bright red!

Uh oh, do I smell a need for a new forum/info sheet?
wink.gif

Yeah, there is a need. They have commercial food available at the pet stores for these guys, right?
I have thought about getting some before.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ May 20 2004,9:22)]Yeah, there is a need. They have commercial food available at the pet stores for these guys, right?
 I have thought about getting some before.

Joe
Joe,

Yes there is.
smile.gif
Quite a variety actually. Treats, food, moist food, all sorts of stuff. Plus you can feed them oatmeal, crackers, grapes...just about anything really as long as you take it out by the next day.

Another great thing about them is that they don't transmit any diseases what so ever to humans. Can't catch a thing from them.

Other than that, they're a lot of fun to see interacting and swapping shells, climbing, digging, very cool indeed. The only sad part is they are all wild collected since it's impossible at this point to have them breed in captivity...plus the fact that most people consider them throw away pets.

Hey, if we get a few more interested people together maybe we can petition for a forum?
smile.gif

I used to take care of them at a tropical fish wholesaler in Buffalo, NY.

i use to have a couple, but at different times
most of them escaped, and i have yet to find one of them.
they are really great escape artists
tounge.gif

i saw a new stand at my local mall, and it sell them in different collored shells, and you can even have them right stuff on some shells!!!
it is getting alot of attention, along with the new water massage
biggrin.gif

Exactly how big is tour tank...and how'd you get hermit crabs to home in there in the first place?
wink.gif
How do you tell the species?

(Were they little baby ones you put into your tank for fun...and see which, plant or crab, would get eaten first?
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
I'm not sure hermits eat cps though (or any type of plant for that matter)
tounge.gif
Eating competition...
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ May 20 2004,11:10)]Exactly how big is tour tank...and how'd you get hermit crabs to home in there in the first place?
wink.gif
How do you tell the species?

(Were they little baby ones you put into your tank for fun...and see which, plant or crab, would get eaten first?
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
I'm not sure hermits eat cps though (or any type of plant for that matter)
tounge.gif
 Eating competition...
tounge.gif
I have a bunch in a five gallon tank. Not with any of my cp's of course.
tounge.gif
It would create too much fungus on the hermit's i'd think with that much humidity and light. Though I probably could put some mexican pings in there...high calcium content in my substrate so the mexi could be the only ones really dealing with it.

As far as telling the difference in the species, you can look at the color of the large claw sometimes...the shape of the eye stalks, kind of depends.
tounge.gif
There are a few sites that try to help people out though. Usually you'll find Purple Pincers and Ecuadorian varieties. The sad part is most places say you don't need a little salt water in the tank, but the ecuadorians seem to appreciate it.

The hermit crabs would try to nibble on the plants though if there were some in there. I tried tillandsia but they ate them.
wink.gif

I have all different sizes though, from a few centimeters up to at least an inch if not larger.

Back