What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK OK, I caved

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
I just expanded my grow rack in a hostile takeover of spare shelf space that wasn't being used.

Before:
590a2046.jpg

After:
a56d161b.jpg

My girlfriend will hate me for this!

Just picked up 2 24" fixtures, each with 2x 20W T12 bulbs @ 1200 lumens each.

Right now I just have some seed pots in there that I'm trying to germinate. Once that's done, it'll be a nice place to keep plants that don't have the same water requirements as my South African and Tropical dews that I'm keeping in the rack on top.

274df8f9.jpg

c02fa8d8.jpg

Nice. From Lowe's? It's the standard five shelf unit, right? That's the one I used but only used four of the shelves. It is a solid investment and will serve you well.

xvart.

Good eye! Yes, the shelves are from Lowes. Great bang for the buck there.

I don't want to expand to any more shelves for two reasons - one because my girlfriend would be none too pleased with me displacing her files and papers (she's studying up for the MCATs) and two because my landlord pays for my electricity and I want to cut myself off at two shelves just to keep the bill reasonable.

But the flexibility that this extra little 3 square feet of growing space affords will be a godsend! Maybe some day I'll have a couple of 48" shelves...

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

By the way, the setup on your shelves in the thread you linked to looks great. I love the hanging plants. I wish I could use the 2nd and 3rd shelves like you did rather than the top two, but alas my cats seem to be very attracted to my Drosera and all but the highest shelves are within their reach. As it is, I have to stand on my tip toes to admire my plants.

Looks GREAT! And also, about cats, be very careful because they WILL get to the plants if they are available. Maybe a sheet handing infront would protect them so they cant climb the shelves. I have seen cats in houses that get on the rafters like nothing.

LOL, duly noted. I actually have a towel pinned up around the lower shelf and I have hanging sheets of mylar and shade cloth around the top shelf (you can see the mylar folded up above).

Kinda funny, one of my cats has this odd preference for Drosera filiformis. There's one in dormancy on my window sill and during the fall whenever it grew a new leaf she would jump up there and munch it off.

165746_556387433004_4300084_32185743_7228491_n.jpg

Don't they just look so mischievous?

I wish that's all my cats preferred. One of mine has a thing for my albomarginata 'Kuching Spotted' pitchers.

Back