What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ohio

Anyone else from Ohio? I was just wondering how you grow your CPs and what you grow. What's good outside? Inside? Dormancy?

I just read a post that had someone named OhioMike in it. There is also a college student calld Buckeye (Eric). I think that maybe Ozzy has lived in Ohio, but I am not sure. There was a girl called Grab last year, but she hasn't been here in a very long time. I would ask Ozzy, since he is on everyday.

Yeah Ozzy just moved from Ohio,so you should ask him
smile.gif
~Niki~

Yeah you missed me by about a month. Where do you live, I was in Vermilion. I lived there for almost 5 years.
I kept Pitcher plants, vfts, D. capillaris, D.intermedia, outside all year. I had them in an inground bog and I covered them with pine straw every winter.

Oh yeah you have quite a few members from Ohio. Tell me where you live and I'll tell you if they are close to you.

It depends on where you live in Ohio, in south Ohio southeasern U.S. species should be fine. In north Ohio, particularely on lake Eire it would be easier to grow D. rotundifolia and S. purpurea v. purpurea. On lake Eire hibernauculum forming pings may also succeed if kept cool in the summer via shade and live sphagnum. Southeastern species would need a lot of protection in north Ohio.

Ohioans represent... Anyways if you live in midwestern Ohio I reccomend heavy mulching or moving your plants into a garage as we have long extended freezes with dry winds and 0 humidity. I lost a S. Purpurea hybrid and a S. Rubra last year. All northern plant varieties should be ok though like S. purpurea ssp purpurea D. Rotundifolia, D. Filiformis, etc

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slurm @ July 05 2005,7:23)]It depends on where you live in Ohio, in south Ohio southeasern U.S. species should be fine. In north Ohio, particularely on lake Eire it would be easier to grow D. rotundifolia and S. purpurea v. purpurea. On lake Eire hibernauculum forming pings may also succeed if kept cool in the summer via shade and live sphagnum. Southeastern species would need a lot of protection in north Ohio.
I hate to disagree with you but I lived about 1000ft from the shores of Lake Erie. You just have to make sure that they are extremly protected. I used about 8 to 10 inches of pine straw. The trick is to know when to take off the pine straw. That depends on the weather and what part you live in.

I'm in Licking County, about 40mins east of Columbus.

OhioMike is from Columbus, and there's another guy near Cincy, blueeagle I think.

You have NickHubbel in Findlay, and Doug (Death66) Near Cleveland. You have to watch out for Doug though, he's a little weird.
Here's a pic of me and Doug at a cp trip last year. Doug's the weird looking one.
Me and Doug

sweet mother mary is that a great pic of ozzy and i!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! calm, cool, and SEXIE! oh how i love that lion king movie, i belive it is a spiritual connection to mustafa...

i grow everything in my balcony window: neps, drosera, vfts, and orchids too! u southern ohioans....such odd-ballz

See I told you he was weird.

darn!You two are HOT STUFF!Any of you single?I'm available
smile_m_32.gif
~Niki~
cool.gif

Hey I'm not that Southern! I'm more Eastern
smile_n_32.gif
I have been growing my VFT and PP outside so far. =/

Sorry I'm married and Doug has a skink in Grand Rapids.

He has a skink?or did you mean the other word that's spelled like skink but with an A?
smile_n_32.gif
~Niki~

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tink @ July 05 2005,9:18)]I'm in Licking County, about 40mins east of Columbus.
An my wife just had a phone interview with people from a church in a small town, 30 miles south of Columbus (Lancaster).

I can't believe it's called Licking County! ~Niki~
biggrin.gif

I know,I have a sick mind
smile_l_32.gif

Yeah I know Lancaster! About 15-20mins from here. And yes Licking is odd, people think strangly, but ta tell ya the truth I don't even notice it. I'm so used to it now. And why does everyone make fun of Doug? Man, that must have been some wedding.

No Nikki I mean Skink.
Tink Haven't you been paying attention? It may have slipped by you somehow but Doug is a little on the weird side. I don't even think he knows, so lets keep it quiet.

Back