What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh my darling...

So my darlingtonia arrives last Friday. The existing pitchers look great but I didn't realize how big their root system was. I currently have them planted in 6" pots in live sphagnum. The pots seem a bit tight and I'm wondering if I have them too cramped. I'm starting them off in a windowsill and they seem to be enjoying it, by this I mean they're not dead. The new growth that was apparent upon arrival still looks good but some existing pitchers are starting to brown a bit, I'm assuming due to shipping stress. I've learned a great deal of patience this season but was wondering what the rate of growth is for these guys and what type of dormancy they need just so I can keep an eye out for their health. I water the roots twice a day with cold distilled water and have them sitting in about an inch of water.

Darlingtonia produce stolons which wrap around the inside of the pot and develop new offshoots at the surface. They don't mind being in a tight pot.

They tend to grow their biggest pitchers early. Less pitchers will be growing now and the old ones will be dying off a bit.

It sounds like everything is fine. Don't bother with the cold water though - as long as they're sitting in some water at all times, aren't in a black pot and are not in extreme 100F heat, they won't suddenly keel over if the roots aren't cold.

Thanks for the reassurance. I figure since I've had them for almost a week and they haven't died they might do OK (unless they're very slow to die). I'm not holding my breath though as I've read quite a few people have had bad luck with these. Seems those who just let them be have had the most success... I'll try that approach.  
smile.gif

What bad luck? Just bad experiments. I have one, open tray, 72 degreees, NE sill, water-logged - and doing fine. Yes, existing pitchers brown soon after arrival. Your next issue will be doing dormancy - but you have yet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What bad luck? Just bad experiments.
Right, right... bad experiments. That's what I meant.
smile_m_32.gif
Jim, I have the exact same conditions as yours with the plants in a NE window and at between 70-75F and the live sphagnum keeps nice and cool. How do you keep yours water-logged? A deep tray? About dormancy, what do you do for them since they're being kept indoors. I had thought about skipping dormancy or at least keeping them where they're at and see if they keep growing or decide to go to sleep. If I do put them into dormancy I was thinking about a cold window in my basement at about 40-50F (no room in the fridge).

The diameter/lip of the pot rests on top of the bottom part of the Lowe's cube. The idea is to water it every day at work, Monday-> Friday, so that the water drains through the pot. When I leave for the weekend, I overfill it, so it is waterlogged. Nothing terribly fancy. I think your approach is a good one. Ideally, it would be great if the window sill would not only naturally decrease in photoperiod, but do the same with temperature, so one does not have to plunge a 70 degree plant into 40 degree conditions. I will likely use a fridge and might transition it to the outside when Fall kicks in, to get the cooler temps.

Welp... so far they seem to like where they're at. In the last week new sprouts have started from the roots already almost 3" long. -phew- I'll get some pics up soon.

Hi,
The best place to grow the Darlingtonia is out doors if possable. Most people go wrong in treating the plant like a warm bog plant witch it is not. It is a mountain plant.The key to keeping it happy is water running thru the roots.The plant can take temps from below freezing to around 100 degrees. If the pot stays cool the plant will be happy, lower than 68 degrees. When dormant 4-6 months 35-50 degrees.These plants grow along roadside ditches and in and alongside mountians where water runs thru the roots. Strong light is ok as long as the pot doesn't heat up.          

Regards
smilie4.gif

Back