What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh, man!  i can't beleive it!

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date

schloaty

Staff member
I just found out that I can get myself one of those big flourescent office fixtures (for the ceiling) FREE! It may take some work to adapt it to my tank, but it should be well worth the effort.

Sorry, I had to brag (again)!
tounge.gif
wow.gif

You mean a twin tube strip light? That will be nice  but you will need at least 4 tubes to light a large tank appropriately, and more is always better. I have 6x 40 watt tubes over my 75 gallon tank and this is just about perfect. But a bigger tank needs brighter light than even what I have. Compact flourescents will give your light more "punch" to reach into a deeper/taller tank. But you will still need a good number of them to acheive maximum intensity.
How large is the tank you're going to light? Wasn't it a 125 gallon? I believe that measures 72" L x 24" W x 24" H. I would use at least six 65 watt compact flourescents or six 96" /96 watt high output flourescents from home depot, each fixture runs about $40 I'd use at least 4 tubes and possibly 8 for super bright light and maximum coloration on plants. I preffer more colorful plants with red/golds rather than plain green ones. Some plants wont colorup no matter what (Nepenthes ampullaria green) but most plants will look real awesome in intense light and plenty of humidity otherwise the leaves will burn. Sundews too will get really nice if given high light and humidity.

Swords,
It's actually a 75 gallon tank. Yes, it's a twin tube fixture, but the back is mirrored. The sucker is BRIGHT, but I have to get different bulbs....the current one are just the typical office variety. Still think it's not enough? I don't think my wife will let me spend the $120 to get three of those fixtures from Home depot. I do have two 2-foot sunlite flourescent bulb-and-fixture-in-one units, which I can use to enhance the light, if I need to.
confused.gif

Back