What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh dear,

My P. primuliflora is a recent Lowe's rescue. It is still in my terrarium, as the older leaf margins were kinda brownish and it hadn't put out more than one or two new leaves yet. It is only about 3" in diameter. I figured I was in for the long haul to get it healthy before I even thought about whether it would ever flower...

Now, I look in the tank, and what do I see? It looks like a little white bud barely opening in the center of the plant! But it is right in the middle of the rosette, not on the end of a long stalk as I've seen in photos...

Is it actually a flower stalk forming? I've asked one of my friends to bring by a digital camera so I can hopefully add a photo tonight. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Yes that is most likely a flowr stalk coming up.

Congratulations! You're surrogate mommy! You will be able to see daily progress of this white bud and its up and coming stalk. Not only that, you will most likely see another and another and.....
smile.gif

My concern is that being still 'in recovery' in my mind, the effort of flowering may be harmful to the little thing... Should I cut off this stalk before it drains too much from the plant? This is why I want to get a photo posted (friend with camera being AWOL) for some opinions...

But I am happy it is trying to flower... It must be happy in with my treatment of it...

I think you should let it flower. Normally, it will not flower until it is strong enough to flower. If it begins ragged looking from the flower stalk, cut it off. A pic would be useful in determining in whether or not you should let it flower. So my conclusion is, I would let it flower, but I would take leaf cuttings just in case it doesn't make it.
Dewy

My very first plant thought it would be a great idea to both produce plantlets and send up flowers (simultaneously) - 8 of them - one right after another. Poor thing looked like it went through labor! And then it rested from its labors for a couple of months, before it started flowering again. I didn't cut anything off, and it survived. but if you do cut any stalks, don't worry, you'll likely see more.

Well, the friend with a camera never came over... But I got back some photos I attempted to take for another topic and my ping was partially in one of them and more or less in focus. This photo is from a few days before the flower stalk began to develop, but at least you can see the color of the plant and half the leaves!
PI001.jpg

I hope he comes by today, I really would like to take some photos documenting the developing flower, and would rather not test my luck with non-digital cameras (I am awful at photography).

Looks good. I would let it flower as it looks very healthy.
Dewy

Well, I thought I might post pics of the progress of the flower stalk while I have them!
smile.gif

PI001%206-26-2005.jpg

Looking good! And in a few weeks, you should see another... and another... and...

Jeez, wow, 8?! Oh man...that's gotta be a lot of seed to catch...

That ping looks really healthy for a Lowes rescue! You're doing a really good job. Did you repot it or anything? I've heard it's a good idea to repot it when you bring a CP home from Lowes..... I wanna go to Lowes now...I've gone too long without a ping!

I wish you luck on that little flower or flowerS. I have yet to get a plant to flower. But I'm just now getting at the point where I'm doing everying correctly. Good luck again!

Hmm. Update. Yes, the plant was repotted almost immediately after getting it home.

After flowering, the entire plant shriveled and died. I did not change its environment at any time during the flowering process. I figured if it was happy enough to flower I had its environment right. I guess I was wrong.
smile_h_32.gif

It didn't set any seed before dying either. *sniff*

But it's okay, I've got a ton of P. lusitanica to tide me over for a while. Maybe I'll try again later, once I've got more room.

Back