What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh Boy...

My mom got an orchid as a gift (she is the type to kill a plastic plant&#33
wink.gif
anyway... it was strictly planted in styrofoam peanuts. It was looking real bad. At the time, I knew nothing about orchids, but love plants, so what do I do? I replant her orchid in potting soil. Then, she found orchid food and had been watering her plant every week with food. It actually has done great, the leaves that were drooping, picked up, and she has since gotten a few flowers and leaves! Although this past week an old leaf turned completely yellow in about 3 days.

Since that time, I bought myself an orchid, and started doing my homework on how to care for these plants. I am thinking...OH MY GOD, what have I done?

Can anyone recommend what I can do to save my mom's plant at this point? Since there are flowers, I know now is not a good time to repot, but when is considering what I have done? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'd reduce the watering a little, they don't like to sit in water. What genus is it?
My mom grew (we also didn't know any better then) an oncidium and a dendrobium, for 4 years, in normal potting soil. The oncidium grew but wouldn't flower, and the dendrobium did just fine, although it grows better now in half soil half orchid bark. Just make sure if it is really wet, and is a dendrobium, it gets good light.
Of course, if it is a phaleonopsis, they don't like to sit in water. Generally, the thicker the roots, the more water they hold and less they like to sit in. I wouldn't leave one of them in potting soil ever, they seem to grow better for me on a piece of bark or a stick.

I believe it is a phal. When she waters that plant, it is never "sitting" in water, the soil is just moist. So you suggest to repot? even though there are flowers on it? It gets good indirect light by the way. And the orchid food... someone on this forum mentioned not to use food because it burns the roots.

Also... she has roots coming up from the top of the soil. That is normal, correct?

If you repot the phal correctly it shouldn't cause any shock. I've repotted Home Depot when there in flower before. All of them were fine and put out more flowers. A good( and simple mix) for a phal is orchid bark: LFS : charcoal or perlite with a 2:1:1 ratio for the mix. You should stop the using the fertilizer. After you repot it wait until you see some new gowth( a leaf or some roots). Then you can start fertilizing again. The main thing is not to over water.

Thank you Tristan.

Hmmm... what is LFS?

I can purchase the perlite and the bark at Home Depot?

LFS = long fibered sphagnum moss.

Yes you can.
smile.gif

thank you soooo much! my mom thanks you too!

Is there a big difference between LFS and regular spagnum moss?

Not really, but spagnum moss can mean peat moss. I would only buy LFS if it says Long Fiber or if you can see it in the package.

Styrofoam peanuts are still good though, arent they? I mean as an addative for phals?

Hi Meagan
smile.gif

I think your plants will be ok. Epiphytic orchids like phals like a loose airy soil mix. That allows the water to drain out quickly so they don't sit in wetness which can rot the roots. Orchid bark, long-fibered sphagnum, perlite, lava rock and charcoal are all good...you can use a mix of any. Some people do use styrofoam peanuts but personally I feel styrofoam is a blight to Mother Nature (it does not biodegrade) so I never use it. I prefer more natural mixes.

Orchids are typically weak feeders so go light on the fertilizer (orchid/epiphyte fertilizer). Half-strength every two weeks is often recommended but some people use a very weak solution with every watering (except in the winter resting months). Let your phal dry out a tad between waterings. The yellowing leaf is normal if it is a bottom leaf. The older ones gradually die off as it makes new ones from the top. Once its yellow, you can either wait til it falls off on its own or carefully cut it off with sterile scissors.

I would not repot it until its bloom cycle is over. I try not to disturb plants while in bloom.

Good luck with your orchids...let us know how they are doing.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Thanx Suzanne!

So, I shouldn't repot it until the flowers fall? Even though it is potted in soil? My mom told me she is now loosing another bottom leaf. I feel as though this is my fault! I am killing her plant!

Back