What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd search

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Looking for anyone who might own finches or other similarly small birds. Specifically would like to talk about the possibility of getting your unwanted (preferably infertile) eggs.

And I have already talked to "Finch" so please don't refer me to him :)

Thanks

I have no idea, but I'm curious. Are you feeding them to something?

So they are available again? Good for you.

I encourage you to seek out small bird aviculturists in your state, in addition the the petstores i mentioned before.… preferably with Society finches or zebra finches, as they are the most prolific egg producers. The biggest problem and hurdle I foresee with this is inconsistency of production- the birds are kept and bred, but they are NOT reliable in regards to keeping a schedule, with exception of the spring-only breeders, of which acquiring some from someone who actually has a producing pair will be virtually impossible, because if you have a breeding pair of those rarer birds you want to produce young. Many people who seriously breed finches have a bunch of societies around as foster parents.

To make this work you will need a lot of contacts with a few pairs or a few reliable contacts with an excess from a large breeding flock. Both ways it would be easier for both parties if it was local within your region, and you do have a fair number of serious finch breeders in the South East. But do know that you will likely be only able to get fertile eggs.

I have no idea, but I'm curious. Are you feeding them to something?

no, he is trying to perfect the low calorie omlete.............he thinks portion size is the key

no, he is trying to perfect the low calorie omlete.............he thinks portion size is the key

:-))

He's probably using them to grow some kind of bacteria in it. :)

Hmm interesting..............

@ Finch,

Not available as such. More so that they are currently in my possession. :)

I have been searching for local breeders but having little luck. And so far only one pet store has been willing to let me have eggs when they get them. I do have an avian/exotic pet vet I pass on the way to/from work and I am going to stop in and talk to them in the near future.

@ PAK,

Not growing bacteria on them but that does give me an idea...

@ Rattler,

Smarta$$ :p

@ Ozzy,

Dasypeltis scabra. Rhombic egg eater.

PB080004.jpg

As you can see the button quail eggs are still a little big for them (that is the male ["Narp"] but the fem ["Yarp"] is the same size.) I have a feeding tube for them and have been able to feed them this way but I would prefer to get them on real eggs so as not to have to "molest" them weekly in order to feed them.

Last edited:
Thats probably the cutest snake ever!

Never really thought of them as "cute". I more like them for their exotic factor. Quite the evolutionary pathway to get where they are. Sort of like CPs. I just like "freaks" of nature.

Back