What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nursery Location

In your experience as a consumer or even some of you as commercial Greenhouse owners. What do you believe is helpful even vital when choosing an area in a city to begin a Commercial Nursery business?

Basically, what do you look for in a location?

You started this new topic before I finished responding to the other thread you have going on this topic.
The other thread and my response can be found at Starting a business

As for your new question... As always, you want to situate your business away from competitors but close to other businesses that draw a large crowd so you in effect receive free advertising by being in a good location.
Close to major arteries (roads) is always best too. People who have to drive to a location don't like to follow a map, at least I know I don't.

There are various other variables to consider.
If you are in a city and looking for a great garden center space, look for an old car lot. You can put up greenhouses, it comes with on site parking and the showroom already has floor to ceiling windows.

Cheers,
Sean

Sean,

I was hoping that you wouldn't see the other post before you saw this one.  
biggrin.gif
 I see that my timing was inconvenient.  But, I appreciate you still responding to them.  

Great points.  I do know of an empty car lot.  Not a very large one unfortunately.  It IS however located on the MAIN artery of our city, but is more in between mainly trafficked businesses not in the same visual area of one.  Just on the way to the many options.  

Thanks again, and great points you made.  Plus thanks for supplying a link to the other thread.  

It will be awhile before I begin the business, 4 years or less.  So, I am excited now to get a jump start on the research end of it.

Well I'd put one in a plant-oriented enviroment. (Such as Florida) And then set up other greenhouses and stores in different enviroments (Such as California, or Texas)

So, you would grow wholesale maybe and have greenhouses owned by you in several states?

Is that easy to work with?

well that's what I reccomend, it's not very easy because of the communication issue, You'd have to be pretty good at communication

Well, so far I get alot of time on here. I guess nowadays communication is more possible than ever. I think it is a suggestion that I never would have thought of.

How does one get that started, if he has to do it through loans.

Not really sure, but I'd start out with one greenhouse, then once that gains enough money buy another one, and so on, and so forth

Back