What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nuking Media

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Does anybody microwave their media before use?

I rinse everything, then microwave it...

Years ago, when I tried 'nuking' media, I actually got more nasty things growing than if I didn't attempt to sterilize it. This made me stop the practice. Roughly last year or so, I needed to sow some seeds so I tried nuking the media and adding Trichoderma as soon as it cooled down. I sealed the media in a ziplok for a few days before using. The seedlings grew up totally unencumbered by any mosses or nasty fungal infections.

I don't know whether my original attempts were flukes (or even my more recent experiments) - but I like the results. :boogie:

every time I nuke I end up with slime , now I stopped nuking and put some live moss on top that has springtails in it and never have any problems, once in a while a weed will grow

As per Lois Ochs microwave cooking of peat moss causes it to break down more rapidly. I only cook media that will be used short term such as germinating seeds that will be transplanted with in a few months. Rinsing the media with a 10% bleach solution will sterilize it (again per Lois Ochs). Flushing the media will rinse out most of the nutrients that moss and whatever need to live on. Much of it depends on the quality of the peat moss to begin with.

See also:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...rticulture-(Washing-media)-by-Tamlin-Dawnstar

i nuke my media.....seems to work better than not nuking it.

I've got a whole mess of soil media in 32 oz beverage containers and sapling pots. I "nuked" the contents of two of them, in preparation of incoming plants and seeds. I've been dealing with pillbugs and I'm hoping that this will take of them and other unwanted critters.

Ah, well critters have legs, wings or other means of getting from pot to pot. You may need some form of isolation to keep them from spreading.

I used to nuke the peat and then rub thru a screen , before wetting it. I would think wetting it first would cause it to break down quicker.

Cheers,

Joe

Microwaving it dry you risk the peat moss catching fire or damaging a cheaper or older microwave oven.

I have never nuked mine. The most problems I have always had were fungus gnats but now that I use the layer of silica sand I do not have that problem anymore. I have had very minor issues with mold but that was when the air was real stagnant.

This is like 90% sand. Nothing caught fire.

Back