What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now this show looks cool

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bugs
MiguelSR1: I agree with you...
Everyone is talking about the show and I am a nerd when it comes to this type of shows. Does anyone know if they will be selling this show in DVD or something like that?

It seems History channel has been hijacked by it's own version of reality TV. It's been slim pickings for me ever since.

I'm a historian who hates the history channel. I've seen some very bad history on that channel. Hate it, hate it, hate it. :censor:

true heremems..im not a historian but they really are filling the ussaully cool line up of shows with that nostradamus and 2012 bullspit.

i found their to be several wrong facts like the time it takes a vft to close and that multiple trigger hairs must be touched. And that several animals were mis identified, like a turkey vulture that was called a raptor during the basalisks part. Claiming it was a bird of prey and triggerd the basalisk to start springting, when really they are just scavengers. Plant part better be amazing!

First, the turkey vulture could easily have been what scared the basalisk, it would have just seen a silhouette and they are considered "raptors" as its not a very specific term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_of_prey

Also I'm not sure what you mean by how long it takes to close? It only said the amount of time two trigger hairs must be tripped for it to close. Also I never heard the word "different". Besides, that was an introduction episode, wait until the plant episodic is on to judge.

As for the history channel, they have no place talking of the future...

They still forgot to mention where is VFT from. That was the only origin they didn't bother to explain. Africa was mentioned million times though.

i relized the turkey vulture may have scared the lizard, yet i dont think the should have caled it a raptor and it is not a bird of prey. And they claim a trigger hair must be hit, then in the next 7 seconds another must be hit and the trap closes. I conducted my own experimant and found the info far from true. I took a tooth pick and hit one hair and after two or three seconds it closed. No other hairs were contacted. And they claim this special wating period is to avoid closing on rain water, yet mine closes at least once a week from watering, so in the wild when heavy spring rains occur i could only imagine all the closed traps.

i relized the turkey vulture may have scared the lizard, yet i dont think the should have caled it a raptor and it is not a bird of prey. And they claim a trigger hair must be hit, then in the next 7 seconds another must be hit and the trap closes. I conducted my own experimant and found the info far from true. I took a tooth pick and hit one hair and after two or three seconds it closed. No other hairs were contacted. And they claim this special wating period is to avoid closing on rain water, yet mine closes at least once a week from watering, so in the wild when heavy spring rains occur i could only imagine all the closed traps.

naich - it must be hit in the next few seconds by something as small as a fly.
You have to remember the force you put into it is enough to trigger this reaction because you are by far stronger than a fly even at your weakest.
also, the turkey vulture is a raptor....read about it.

MiguelSR1: I agree with you...
Everyone is talking about the show and I am a nerd when it comes to this type of shows. Does anyone know if they will be selling this show in DVD or something like that?

it will be on DVD and is available for preorder now on a few sites

how is it a raptor when it is a scavenger. Does not attack living prey.

I believe all "raptors" are birds of prey which is defined by Marriam-Webster as : a carnivorous bird (as a hawk, falcon, or vulture) that feeds wholly or chiefly on meat taken by hunting or on carrion

Carrion=Dead Organisms

Thank you jayson, i was just about to say that.
Vultures are indeed raptors because they are birds of prey, even if it is carrion, but i have seen vultures go for living lizards and frogs back when i lived in florida.

Back