What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notched leaves

Ok, maybe I'm worrying about nothing but I really think something is wrong. I first noticed a notch in a leaf on one of my outside VFTs and now one of VFTs that I keep inside has a notch on one of its leaves. It almost looks as if something has eaten the leafy part of the petiole. The traps look normal. I don't notice anything abnormal on them and they are otherwise thriving. Do have some sort of infestation or am I just worrying about nothing? Any insight would be greatly appriciated.
Buckmaster

So then it looks like a hole not a tare? What is the coloring of the leaf around the area. This will help us understand the problem.

Hi Buckmaster

I have a VFT with notched leaves as well. However, its a new one and I'm sure the place I got it from didn't care for it properly (tap water and all that). So I am assuming on down the road, this problem will go away as it receives the care it should. It does look like something has nibbled chunks out of it. Is yours one you've had for a while? I think the problem will resolve itself.

Good luck!

Suzanne

The VFTs I have outside are ones that I bought last year from this site. They have not produced a mature trap this year. They were frozen in my fridge so they kinda got a late start this spring.

The ones I have inside are also from Exotic gardens. I've had them for about a month. They arrived in great shape and seem to be very healthy, other than the occasional notch.

Oh and on the color: I don't notice any major discoloration. It is just red around the notch. No different than the edge of the leaves on my green dragons and dentes.

I'll keep a close eye on them. Hopefully, it's nothing.

Thanks

Quick! Describe them as a new cultivar VFT 'Notched Leaf' and make millions.
biggrin.gif

several of my vft forms do this, usually just temporary at a certain time of year. I have one which does it all the time, which I refer to as 'toothed petiole' (although this year it has reverted&#33
wink.gif

Back