What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not only can you grow utrics in a pot......

to save room you can grow them on a pot. this is one of my pots of U. sandersonii showing off its lithophytic nature on a terri cotta pot

2067d2ef.jpg

Neat! And they say unglazed is no good. I wonder how Utrics would take to porous rock... I know a lot of other CPs do very well in it.
~Joe

the key for terra cotta pots is buy brand new and just use distilled or R/O water.

Nice thanks you just helped me identify one of my unknowns

Joe, U. sandersonii is a lithophyte(grows on rocks) in nature which is probibly why it took to the TC pot surface so well. im not sure what other Utrics are lithophytes so im not sure what other species will do this too.

I wonder use them as a cover for those ugly clay pots my mom has, CPs growing in cps!
biggrin.gif

Just to clarify, "terracotta" is glazed ceramic, correct?

unglazed

The ugly pots. Well I think they are.

yeah unglazed, its just one of those plain orange clay pots you see everywhere. i must stress if your going to attempt this(i didnt do it on purpose) you must use BRAND NEW pots and dont plant anything in it that you cant afford to loose just incase it was contaminated with hard water at some point, thats why i have U. sandersonii in it, i usually have extra.

Yeah it is really hard to get the contamination out. Although if you have a kiln
smile_n_32.gif

Back