What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not again!!! Mites!!!

Chomp

Oops
Or at least mite-type-things. I think there might be more than one kind of invader-insect eating, of all the over-grown plants in my terr, my very rare plant. One kind looked like a pill bug, the other like a fruit fly. (but I don't know exactly what a fruitfly looks like up close) I'll try getting pics soon, but does anyone know how to get rid of em without damaging some of my more delicate plants.

"looks like a pill bug," to me, rings bells of mealy bugs which are a pain in the butt to get rid of. Neem oil in a low concentration (though full-strength is safe, according to most) using a Q-tip to paint it on would work. If you dont want to use chemicals, your only option really is to go with tweezers and a toothpick, getting them all by hand.

Spraying them with water may help, and I have submerged venus flytraps completely in water for 24 hours to drown aphids.

Hope some of this helps!

looked like a pillbug? probably a pillbug...mealy bugs are white, unstuck and dont look much like mealys at all...how big was this "pest?" chomp?
the other sounds like fungus gnats, and they are not a problem at all...they are in everyones collection, sure they are annoying, but if you really want to see a major drop in their population, get some pings and dews in place them in your most affected areas...

I'm going to try all of those. O.O
Thanks for the help. I'll tell you the outcome.

identification is the most crucial and important part of trying to control a pest. without a proper ID you are spinning wheels in the mud....

Sirkristoff, i was thinking of the segmented body type and appearance of numerous "legs."

http://www.sarracenia.com/photos/nonplant/mealybugs_02.jpg

And, since they were described as in his terrarium, it seemed unlikely a pillpug would have gotten in. I do agree on the fugnus gnats, however, a common problem (Or pinguicula food!) really only a concern if you have seedlings.

those are not legs. mealybugs only have 3 pairs of legs. those things you see are wax filaments

ive had pillbugs get in my terrarium....

took some pics, but I'm pretty certain those are pillbugs. Do they eat leaves?

Back