What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northiana Substrate -- Cindy HELP!

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
Well, maybe not only help from Cindy, but she will know what I'm talking about the most. A few months ago I started a thread discussing the best way to grow N. Northiana. Cindy had mentioned the burnt earth she can get on the other side of the world, and people further suggested Schultz aquatic plant soil. Although I haven't been able to find the Schultz brand, the local garden center carries a brand called "Pond Care." The wording on the package between the Pond Care and Schultz is almost identical, except that the local brand specifies "zeolite and acrillite." Does anybody have any additional information regarding this compounds? The package says, "excellent for bog plants."

Finally, if you use this as substrate, I'm curious if I should mix it with some peat moss or LFS. Basically, I'm re-oping my Northiana discussion. I want to get this plant, and make sure that I can handle it. Thanks everybody!

I use either brand, just depends on what is available at the time.... I find them totally interchangeable.

The zeolite is added to give it a means to "hold onto" nutrients better IIRC...

Bottom line, they are interchangeable (the level of zeolite in pond care is very small BTW, more marketing then functionality IMHO)

".....Zeolites have a porous structure that can accommodate a wide variety of cations, such as Na+, K+, Ca2+, Mg2+ and others. These positive ions are rather loosely held and can readily be exchanged for others in a contact solution"

Zeolite structure:
seed_cluster_Zeolite.jpg

zeolite.jpg

HTH's
Av

Hmmm, a special substrate is suggested for this plant? I got mine a while back and it looks far better than it did and I would say it has good growth as well. ???

IMG_0526.JPG

I'm also interested in growing this species. I came across an article in the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter from 2003 which describes the cultivation of N. Northiana. The writer (Dr. Jeff Shafer) uses fine horticultural charcoal and some peat, but later on he compares it with using almost pure peat moss and concludes that after 2 years, there are no noticeable differences. See http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/articles/CPNv32n2p49_51.pdf.

Hi, I am here!!!

I reckon that any APS or APS-like substrate would work fine. Northiana thrives in anything free-draining. I left a cutting to root in pure perlite and it even produced a basal...well, it was in the container for that long. :blush:

Thanks everybody. I'm an account, not a chemist/geologist, but big pictures nearly always help! I might look into making this component a part of my standard nepenthes mix. Now all I need to do is pick up a N. Northiana of my very own and give it a shot!:rolleyes:

And thanks Cindy. I was hoping to get a response from you...! Doesn't it feel great to be called out by name? You must have KILLER growing conditions on the other side of the World, seeing that even when you "neglect" your plants, they do amazing things. :)

I tried growing one.....I get the impression that this species hates hot stuffy conditions. Mine ended up with a bacterial infection of some kind and I had to toss it, I think it did better when I kept it at a constant 75F and at 50% humidity. :-(

Cindy is the nep queen from this side of the globe :hail:.... sometimes I wondered how she grew all her awesome neps living in a high rise condominium... hats off to you :-D

And thanks Cindy. I was hoping to get a response from you...! Doesn't it feel great to be called out by name? You must have KILLER growing conditions on the other side of the World, seeing that even when you "neglect" your plants, they do amazing things. :)

DavyJones, it feels great to register early enough to have my own name as the userid. At least I know you are calling out for me. Hehe.

Killer conditions I do have...for I have killed loads of Neps. :-)) Northiana was one of them until I used burnt earth.

Cindy is the nep queen from this side of the globe :hail:.... sometimes I wondered how she grew all her awesome neps living in a high rise condominium... hats off to you :-D
Nepnut, the "queen" label has gotten me far more curses than accolades. And it all started out as teasing by a friend. :(

Honestly, I don't consider myself a great grower. I have just the conditions which are suitable for a wide range of CPs.

Back