What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North American Plant Atlas

• Thread starter Kyle
  • Start date
I found this while aimlessly poking around the 'net, thought it was pretty cool. I can't attest to the accuracy of it, but I'm inclined to believe it's fairly trustworthy. Fun to look around in, if nothing else.

North American Plant Atlas

EDIT: Really, don't rely on the accuracy of this because, through further poking around by other members, it does not appear to be entirely accurate. It might be more accurate for the non-CP species, but I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
Interesting; if I read correctly, both Sarracenia purpurea and Sarracenia rubra are native to California. It looks they are "exotic and present" in two different counties north of Sacramento. And not too surprisingly, Darlingtonia californica is "present and rare" in several California counties north of Sacramento. My biggest surprise: Drosera rotundifolia is "present and not rare" in Central California. I didn't think that any carnivorous plant could survive Central California's dry hot summers. It looks like I need to move far north of Sacramento so that mother nature can water my plants for me. :)

Thanks for sharing. It's hard to beleve that delicate sundews live in cold and snowy Western NY!

Interesting; if I read correctly, both Sarracenia purpurea and Sarracenia rubra are native to California. It looks they are "exotic and present" in two different counties north of Sacramento. And not too surprisingly, Darlingtonia californica is "present and rare" in several California counties north of Sacramento. My biggest surprise: Drosera rotundifolia is "present and not rare" in Central California. I didn't think that any carnivorous plant could survive Central California's dry hot summers. It looks like I need to move far north of Sacramento so that mother nature can water my plants for me. :)

i thought S. purpurea and rubra were NOT NATIVE to California. the only true Sarraceniaceae representative on the west coast should be Darlingtonia californica. it is more accurate to say that S. purpurea and rubra were INTRODUCED and ESTABLISHED in California.

That map is not very accurate at all. It's based primarily on the USDA plant distirbution database which tracks species having been reported in an area, often without herbarium specimens. If you look in the Jepson Flora Project for CA the Sarracenia species in California are listed as naturalized. The CalFlora Database lists Sarracenia as "not native"

http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/LN2C.pl
http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/spe..._plantcomm=any&orderby=taxon&ttime=1290453042

As far as D. rotundifolia goes Central California encompasses Yosemite and portions of the Sierras where Sphagnum bogs and D. rotundifolia can be found.

Not a Number & amphirion are right on the money. I am wrong, again, but I am glad that I was corrected. I don't want to mislead anyone. By the way, are the Sphagnum bogs in the Sierras accessible to the public? I would like to see carnivorous plants growing in the wild someday.

i wonder how long that took

Yeah, it lists a few Drosera species as being native to Colorado, which I find relatively hard to believe. Like I said, I can't say it's entirely accurate, but it's fun nonetheless.

In Yosemite D. rotundifolia has been reported at Crane Lake and Swamp Lake. Where else in the Sierras I don't know. Check with Barry Rice or Peter D'Amato. You can find them around Grass Lake near Lake Tahoe and north in Gasquet and Big Lagoon. There's always the Albion Bog and Butterfly Valley too.

Back