What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nonsphagnous moss?

Donald Schnell states in his book that nonsphagnous mosses are actually detrimental to collections... in addition to crowding out small plants, he says there is evidence that they secrete toxins that retard seed plant growth.

I happen to like a layer of nonsphagnous moss on the soil surface with larger sundews and Sarracenia, especially for outdoor pots; it holds the soil in place when it rains. I am also using U. livida for much the same reason now, though.

What is the collective wisdom on such moss, yay or nay? Has anybody run an experiment with two otherwise-identical collections to determine and retardant effect the moss has on established plants?

I also want to add life moss to the tops of pots and am wondering the same thing

It will outgrow many smaller cps and some types make the coil akline (or so I have heard).

i dont think its worth worrying about. most of the moss that is growing in the pots is from spores in the peat you use. plus i doubt there is a full proof way of getting rid of it. i have given up trying to control the lil stuff. i have watched some of my lil Drosera seedlings successfully compete with rapidly growing sphagnum which makes me wonder just how well some seedlings can actually cope with moss if we let them.

Back