What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nomenclature adjustments

My nep vent isnt' looking that good. Not nearly as lush as the n.mira. or the N.. mira At least it isn't dead like my alata picher plant .Man these things can be really hard to grow. I just got a new plant its Judith Hindle x [Judith Finn xx Pete Tomato] but didn't like that name so I call it Eden Black. My Ping medusa has gone dormant and looks like it might be ded, they're routes are black. My eddy got washed away in an eddie somewhere. The drosera didn't do good in the miracle grow I had them in, especially the dro PALASEA sp xxpalasease x ssp palacea,{ red version]. The sarrs are inside under a string of christmas lights and should be coming out dormancy if they weren'r so brown and shrivelled except the Purp rosea burkii xxx ssp. venosa.

You took the red pill, didn't you? ;)

HAHAHAHAHAA---are we supposed to correct every error? :lol:

I have a bad feeling about this - that's a lot of corrections :-))

Oh no! You are going to incur the wrath of the mods! It's all in good fun though. I personally am glad the mods are that studious, it will make future searches return more results should I ever have the dreaded drooping cap syndrome. :)

The corrections are definitely a good thing, and it's unfortunate if anyone is sincerely peeved by it :p

Besides the, "all too often" cases where a commercial nursery, producing and distributing plants that carry a particular name, just because the name will help them sell the plants, not because the name is accurate. Then lots and lots of customers obtain a plant they believe to be of a certain identity, some quickly discover they were scammed, some don't know any better, and they propagate and distribute more misidentified plants to other growers who may or may not realize the problem, and so on. Or, perhaps someone, unaware of how the cultivar naming system works, assumes that cultivar names are grex names, and that all plants, like orchids, that are hybrids can be given grex names. So, they believe that any plant with the same parents as a named cultivar, are actually that cultivar - wrong. Now we have any number of distinct clones being distributed/named with invalid cultivar names, oops.

Remember the communication exercise where a group of people sit in a large circle, then a phrase is introduced at one point in the circle, with the objective of passing that same phrase along from person to person until everyone has heard the phrase. Then the last person in the circle tells everyone what they believe they heard, then the instructor announces to everyone what the original phrase was. Usually what the last person heard has little or no resemblance to the original phrase.

Well, I can't really count how many times (many), I've received plants that were misidentified, usually without any intention to deceive. I've certainly seen how nomenclature errors, usually spelling, can become magnified as they move from grower to grower.

There came a point where I decided to do my best to not become an unintentional distributor of misidentified plants. I began learning as much as possible about the existing plant naming systems and helping others to learn them too. Making "Nomenclature adjustments", can help reduce this happening, but it helps if everyone does their part. And, of course sometimes names are sometimes so "nicknamified", abbreviated or mangled by unintentional misspelling, that it is difficult to guess what the actual names are, unless they are possible to identify as particular species or cultivars.

Last edited:
Back