What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No good place for shade growers

I have some D. adelae in my windowsill right now and they are very happy. The sun barely hits the windowsill and the plants are far enough back so they don't get the direct sun, but very bright light. Pretty soon, the sun will shift enough so the whole window sill will get blasted with sunlight. I live in an apartment building, and my apartment only has south and east facing windows....all which get plenty of direct sunlight. Can I leave them in the windowsill and put something up to block the direct sunlight? There doesn't seem to be any real good place where it's high light but no direct sun. I thought about maybe putting a piece of paper to block the direct sun, but maybe that would block too much of the light too. Any ideas? Thanks!

Joel

D. adele can take much more light than most people think. I have mine growing in a terrerium with very strong grow lights. It is slighlty shaded by a nepenthes. It should do well, just keep an eye on it in case it is not used to the light. D. adele in higher light tends to make smaller, more yellow/green rosettes with red tentacles.

Speaking of D. adelae and lights, and I have several of them in different lighting situations in my terrarium setup. The one I have under really strong lighting is compact and reddish, like Slurm said. The ones I have growing under less intense lighting are a bright green color. The funny thing is, I really prefer the look of D. adelae in lower light conditions. The reddish look just doesn't suit it well in my opinion.

It's kind of hard for me to tell how low of light the plant can really take. I had it in a room that was a nice bright room but it wasn't really that close to windows and it wasn't doing very well. However....when I first starting growing them I thought it would be best if they had full sunlight, and ended up scorching them. After that they never really have done too well until now. So I want to make sure I do it right this time
smile.gif

Back