What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Dew

Hi, I repotted my drosera and it isn't forming any dew. I don't know if I did anything wrong so I thought I'd ask for help. It's in a terrarium and I mist it frequently withdistilled water. Could it still be in shock? Any advice would be great.

What kind of drosera is it?
I think misting is not very good for sundews, that cause the dews to being diluated and to dry out

Hi, I'm not sure what tpe of drosera it is. It came from this site and didn't pecify the type. How do you keep the humidity high on your plants without misting. I live in Colorado and it's dry and I can't afford expensive equipment. Single mom and all. Any advice on how to keep the humidit up without misting would be great. Wouldn't low humidity dry them out too? Thanks to anyone who replies.

This is not unusual in recently repotted plants. PFT sells Drosera spatulata, so I assume this is what you have. You might consider placing the potted plant in a ziplock bag for a couple of weeks: sort of a plant hospital. Keep it moist, but not waterlogged. Don't mist it, this will only do more harm than good. I find the bag trick works well for me with transplants. After a little while the plant should be fine.

Hey, It's in a terrarium and not in a pot. How would I go about putting it in a bag without causing it more stress? Should I try to put the entire terrarium in a bag? If so how would it get light and how much good would that do since it's all ready enclosed? Please Help my Poor Plant and thankyou.

i would suggest putting some cling wrap over the top and sealing it and putting a few air holes in with a knife.thats what i am doing with my sundew terrarium and there growing well.also depends on what kind of potting mixture you are using as in peat and perlite.and are you using distilled water to water them.

You're right. If it's already in a terrarium, there's no need to cover or seal it again.

Are you watering or just misting? They may not be getting enough water in the soil if you are just misting lightly, plus the misting increases the evaporation of the dew. I have sundews in a small terrarium and I water by spraying around the sundew using a spray bottle (stream mode, not spray mode), and not directly on them. I do not mist my sundews. (cuz they're always near me
tounge.gif
)

ya i do not recommend misting sundews at all,easy way to water them in a terrarium is to use a misting bottle set to a single stream then spray in the areas where the peat is showing or on the side of the terrarium itself and let the water flow down naturally.
biggrin.gif

If you have the plant in a substrate terrarium, you might try covering it with one of those little plastic domes that hold toys sold in gumball machines if it will fit, or some other clear cover that will enclose the plant with the top close to the plant. Even in a sealed terrarium this will up the humidity around the plant, which may help. As long as the plant is growing in the center, don't worry too much, it should recover with time.

Thankyou all. It seems to be doing a little better. I stopped misting it and it's gone up four hundred degrees here it seems. Cuz of the fires. It's dewing on part of the plant but not all of it. But you got to start somewhere. I'll try that bubble idea inside the terrarium. Thankyou tamlin.

Back