What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Dew

I have a D. spathulata, (actually about 3 or 4 of them growing together in a clump). Some of them have dew, but the others don't, why? Last week they all had dew, and the humidity conditions haven't changed since then. The only conditions that have changed are a few more flower stalks have started to grow (now there are 4), and I fed some of them a few small bugs (it's hard to tell if the ones that I fed the bugs to are the ones with out dew because they are in a clump
smile.gif
). Any help would be great.  Thanks!  -Bryan

P.S. I wll be out of town for 6 days so I won't be able to respond for awhile.

Kind of having a similar problem here.  I noticed that any leaf that catches an insect loses its dew for quite a while, regardless of humidity conditions.  
sad.gif

Try to increase the humidity. This can be accomplished by placing it in an enclosed container.

Flower stalks can be the reason that sundews don't have dew. Since they use up energy to produce the stalk rather than making new dew.

My spathulata has been growing most of its life in the same enclosure as my Nepenthes, which is very warm and humid.  It is putting up flower stalks for the first time this year, and the leaves still have dew, so increasing the humidity might help some.  Could be they need more humidity when producing stalks.  (I would make sure they don't get TOO warm, though!)  It has been eating more lately too.

Also it might just be that the leaves with no dew are older ones.  Do the newer ones have dew?

My sundew doesn't have much dew ether, well, that's what i get from buying from a frank's nusery....

OK, I'm finally back and have some free time on my hands. While I was gone I tried increasing the humidity for my plant by making the hole in the lid smaller. When I got back the one baby sundew in the pot still has dew like it did before, but the flowering plants still have none, in fact now most of the leaves are turning brown on the edges.
wow.gif
I don't know what to do. Help!!! The plant is probably warmer now because it has been nice around here lately in Sunny Washington state.
tounge.gif
Should I try to cut off the flower stalks. The plants ate still putting out more flower stalks and new leaves, but no dew. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -Bryan

If you're not too interested in producing seed from the flowers, I would try to cut the stalks of one or two of your plants (try to make sure that the stalks you cut are from separate/individual plants). In a few days time or so, compare those plants with the one's who are still growing stalks. If those without the flower stalks begin to produce new leaves and dew, then you've found the problem.
Make sense?
Good luck!

That sounds like a good idea. I should have thought of that.
smile.gif
I'll give it a try. Thanks! -Bryan

ah, the dewless spathulata trick lol. happened to me once for like 3 months! Well, thats because it flowered and i didnt have it in a terrarium or contianer before. Odd, when i first got it, it did great on the windowsill for 1 year or so. Just try increasing the n humidity or cutting off the stalks if you dont need seed.

Like a few people have said before, I think the flowering could possibly have something to do with the lack of dew. It seems when my D.Spatulas began to flower the amount of dew on each stalk got smaller.

Jeff

Well I cut the stalks off of one plant and left them n the other plant. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Thanks! -Bryan

Well I haven't done any thing different but cut the stalks of of one plant, and now the dew is comming back to all of the plants.
confused.gif
Weird. Thanks for all of your help! -Bryan

Back