What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

no color?

HELLO, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY MY FLYTRAPS HAVE LOST THEIR REDDISH COLOR? I'VE HAD FOR A FEW MONTHS AND ALTHOUGH THEY LOOK REALLY HEALTHY AND ARE THRIVING THEY DON'T HAVE THE COLOR THEY ONCE HAD. ALSO SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT THEIR COLOR HELPS TO ATTRACT INSECTS. IS THIS TRUE? BECAUSE I JUST FEED MINE ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK.

I think your over feeding. Try droping back to once every two or three weeks. The red coloring comes from light. If the plant has lots of nitrogen and sunlight it will try to maximise the sunlight by turning the inner layer of the trap red and the outerlayer clear. This focuses the light into the leaf like a magnifying glass and the red bounces back remaining light through the chloroplasts a second time. Because your plant has more then enough food I am guessing it would like some more sunlight. However, these plants are also shutting down for the winter right now so it may doing that. Stop feeding it weekly and place it in good direct light. If it doesn't redden up by the end of the week it's probubly sleepy and needs to go nightnight for the winter (My trap fell asleep early like this it's first year too
wink.gif
)

Back